Professional turned amateur

Joined Apr 26, 2012
My name is Pete and I have worked in the Foodservice profession, off and on, over the past 10 years. I have been a line cook, a grill cook, a prep cook... never a Chef, as in the position of Chef. I have also been a runner and a dishwasher. Some of these, a few times.

I love cooking! I love learning new recipes and new techniques. Food is one of those things I have loved, in the kitchen, for many years and it is still the profession I prefer.

I have gone amateur. The pandemic and other life events have made it necessary to leave the professional kitchen. But I do miss it, and hope to return some day.

My professional cuisine has been mostly American style cooking. In my amateur world, however, I have learned several Asian dishes.. including many Indian styles of cooking... Curry is one thing I love to do.

By American, I am talking about steaks, burgers, stews, briskets, slow cooked meats, vegetable sides, salads of all kinds, soups, bisques, sauces, and fried foods.

I have less experience with seafood, international foods, and I wish I knew more regional such as southern cuisine.

I hope to be able to learn, discuss, and share as much as possible here.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Welcome to CT!

I look for ward to your input, feedback, and questions.

The search feature is useful for finding many topics of interest.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Hi Aldente
You have come to the right place ;)
I like my curries too. but my real favourite food region is SE asia
Hope you are going to enjoy it here!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Have a look at our monthly challenge!
Theme is "spicy". Might be right up your alley ;)

Joined Apr 26, 2012
Have a look at our monthly challenge!
Theme is "spicy". Might be right up your alley ;)
I have been thinking about this. I do not just make spicy food just to make it spicy. I think food needs to be enjoyed, not tolerated. I understand there are people who will take it as spicy as they can get it, but I don't cook that way.

I have been thinking about a sweet chili shrimp dish... with Thai flavors. But I don't know if mine would be nearly as spicy as some might want.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I like spicy food, but I need to be able to taste what I am eating!
It's not a macho thing. For some people half a chili in food is nice, while others like 4 or 5 or whatever.
If I get people over for dinner, I reduce the amount and serve chili paste to the side
Go ahead and post ;) Or at least check it out

Top Bottom