Professional (medium batch) ice cream manufacturing

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by mmmm, May 16, 2010.

1. mmmm

mmmm

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a question regarding ice cream manufacturing, specifically pasteurizing equipment (cliff notes below).

I'm talking about medium batch manufacturing, e.g. a local ice cream parlor.

At home, I mix all the ingredients, homogenize and pasteurize them on the stove top and let them age in the fridge. I then freeze them and store them in the freezer.

All the ice cream parlors that I know of homogenize, pasteurize and age a base mix, i.e. ice cream without any flavoring. They make this base mix in large quantities (e.g. 60 liters/quarts). Then they add flavoring agents (powders, purees etc.) to smaller batches (e.g. 10 liters/quarts) and freeze them.

My question: Is it common for more artisanal places to do large quantities "home style", i.e. adding the flavoring before pasteurisation to smaller batches (e.g. 10 liters)? This would make a lot of sense to me, as the flavors are given a chance to develop that way. What kind of equipment is usually used?

The medium batch ice cream equipment I looked at (i.e. pasteurizing machines) were specifically built for larger batches, where it only makes sense to add the flavoring afterwards.

Cliff notes: Is it commong to have a lot of smaller pasteurizers instead of a large one? Or do the premium places also add flavoring agents later on?

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know.  I can only imagine that it would be the easiest and most cost effective to make a base cream that I would add flavors to. Smaller batches would mean fresher product though, at least I would think. You might try calling a family creamery and seeing what info they can give you.