Professional Hoods...Where can i find or can you help with some reviews to help choose?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by picoladiva, Oct 12, 2011.

1. picoladiva

picoladiva

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am an at home cook with desires to be an at home chef in the near future.  I am about to purchase a Thermadore 36" Pro Harmony all gas range for our new home.  While i will definitely use all the burners i will never have all at highest BTU capacity.  I am still shopping around for the ventilation system to choose.  I would like a chimney hood,  though not recommended by thermadore.  Can anyone please provide some brands or suggestions for hoods to choose.  I would like to keep the cost down on this particular feature because we are building a new home. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jess

2. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
    FWIW, we installed a Ventahood over our Wolf when we did our kitchen many years ago.  It has worked flawlessly.  It is a residential hood, but I suspect you don't need the performance or the price of a commercial hood.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    See if you can buy used one. Fabricated hoods and ductwork is one of the most costly items in a kitchen. Ansul system is extremely expensive.

4. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
    True, commercial hoods, properly installed, are stunningly expensive.  A friend expanded the food offerings, and thus the kitchen, in his wine bar and the cost of the hood and installation, even with a heavily discounted hood (he bought an unsold custom order) was several times the cost of his new range.  How many CFM does your range require?  I think it unlikely that you will need a true commercial hood.

5. colin

colin

Exp:
    At home cook
  6. carpenter

carpenter

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ventahood

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Am I missing something?  We are talking about about a residential range here, right?

A commercial hood for FREE will cost more to install the a residential.

Your CFM specs will probably be listed with the range specs.

I found prefabricated Vent-a-hood to serve my needs very well, very easy to clean.

Just as important to have enough air volume returning. Don;t want to be sucking the curtains off the windows/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

pan

8. picoladiva

picoladiva

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The total output of my stove requires has 6 Burner at a top capasity of 18,000 BTU's the Kitchen store recomended 1,000 CFM but i think i should be fine with 600 CMF given that i will never be able to cook on all 6 burners at that rate.  I was looking at the Ventahood but i was hoping to find something less than $2,000+ for a hood since the stove is close to $6k.