Professional Food Service Trade Show recommendations

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef oddball, Feb 16, 2018.

1. chef oddball

chef oddball

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's trade show season and I'll be heading to Restaurants Canada as usual. I'm just wondering what others think of attending trade shows. I go essentially for some networking and to look at new items that I've only seen in catalogs. But I'm wondering what the ChefTalk community think of attending such events?

2. frankie007

frankie007

Exp:
    professional chef over 20 years
    I still go to a couple but the truth is that they are geared up for big, corporate business most of all. Hordes of sales people looking at your badge to see are you worth talking to......I go to see equipment, dream about having a Charvet range. This time round I am going to see what is available in take away containers world, so all in all they are useful I would say

3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I always went to the Shows in Washington State, Oregon and California along with a Vending show in Las Vegas. It gave me a lot of insight on whats new. I was able to see all the new equipment, products and so on. It also gave me a chance to touch base with the people I deal with on a national level. There is no way to keep up with all the new things coming out unless you keep up with it. Nice having everything in one place.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I love going to trade shows. New products, new people, old friends. I've met people and businesses back when they were just getting started and who are now industry stalwarts while others have come and gone. I've found all kinds of new products large and small- food, kitchen and building equipment and services. . New ideas and concepts of every kind. They are a great way to open your eyes to other ways of doing everything. Especially fun if the show is held in a large city some distance away, Great excuse for a road trip.
    I try to never have "Buyer" on my name tag. Did that once, no one left me alone. Better to be a simple worker so you can look without interruption.
    A friend taught me to do the Trade show walk upon arrival. Meaning you walk without stopping through the entire trade show once. Take note of any booth you really want to visit. Then once you've seen and know where everything is, you return to those booths you really want to spend time at.
    I haven't been to one in a few years. Time I went back.

5. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Never been to a national show although we're considering Chicago this May. We do the New England show in Boston every year and a few vendor specific small local shows when we can. Nothing replaces the ability to taste, see, smell and feel actual products quite like a trade show. I've found new produce vendors, bread distributors, uniform suppliers, and paper goods companies that we never would have found otherwise. It's rare that we walkaway without a few new ideas at least for new products, techniques, or suppliers. And as others have said, there's no better way to network with both suppliers and other restaurant owners and chefs.

6. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    We love trade shows. I really like being able to see, taste, and handle things in person. The shows are a great chance to do that as well as talk to suppliers about odd requests, those seem to go better in person.

harpua likes this.
  7. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I try to go to as many trade shows as I can every year. You get to see new products (equipment, food, gadgets) and a lot of times, can get great deals on stuff you have been wanting but cannot afford at full price.

hrmn likes this.
  8. Chef_Aaron_B

Chef_Aaron_B

Exp:
    Executive Chef
    I am the Chef for Thermodyne and American Griddle. We are always at the NRA show in Chicago every year. I like these shows because it gives chefs an opportunity to look at new and exciting things. I do agree though that Pushy salesman can ruin it for people.

9. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Thanks to this thread, I'm now planning to be at Jacob Javits next month on the last day of the show. I can't wait.

nicko likes this.
  10. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I was going to recommend this same show. It is not what it was 15-20 years ago but it is still a great show worth attending. What I mean by that is the cost at McCormick place where they hold the show is so high that many vendors don't go simply because it is not worth it. Still the culinary competitions are great.