professional chefs. do you have any time when you are not cooking. do you read etc?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chalkdust, Nov 2, 2016.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    For me I have both a lot of passion and a little talent that could be honed in the right places.  My problem is I have other interests besides cooking. I want to travel to Haiti and initiate into vodun... I like the psychology of Carl Jung, Anthropology, Post Colonial Theory and African and Caribbean lit.  Im just not talented enough in academia all though it is true maybe I have not given it enough time.  Still, at 33,  I need to make a better living. and not put off making that living for that 15 years a phd would take.  I am in school for anthropology now, thinking of starting a food truck, and interviewing at various restaraunts. for the past five or so years i thought i wanted to be a haitian anthropologist.  But when I was younger than that I worked in many restaurants and wanted to be a cook.  Still have lots of second and third doubts.

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Meh, I get enough pyschology and anthropology in hiring, training, and working with staff. Exposure to new languages, cultures and customs? Yup.

New communication skills?
    Here's a new concept I learned just before I fired the person, you ready?
    "If you can't read my mind, that must mean you don't like/respect me, and if you can't do that, why should I bother working for you?
    What a concept!

So when I have free time, I lock myself in the garage and I......

...Make unique wood display fixtures for my confectionary and chocolate so I can get the aisle cap exposure in supermarkets. And then I can sell more product so I can cover my costs, which lets me
    hire people who can expose me to new languages, cultures, and communication concepts.....

Its fun in my garage, I work alone, supervised occasionaly by my dog....

3. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I currently work on a campus and interact with many phd students from all over the world. According to them, a phd should take about five or six years give or take, not 15. So if you really wanted to do that, I don't see why you couldn't.  

I do a lot of reading in my spare time. Also writing and working on my older house. There are never enough hours in the day for all the things I would like to be doing. And like foodpump, cooking has exposed me to plenty of people and cultures from around the world. 

4. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I LOVE this answer:      
    You GO!!! foodpump!!!

lbcwanabe likes this.
  5. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    didnt mean to come off as pretentious. in my younger days i didnt read as much and i regret it, so now i read more. and i had no clue about anthropology, marx, or theory. its a life goal of mine, literature and carl jung especially. i want to "be a jungian."

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  6. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL. ... What the what is "pretentious"?!?

7. ljokjel

ljokjel

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Come on... If you are that curious, just google it.

pretentious

prɪˈtɛnʃəs/

adjective

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.
    synonyms:affectedostentatiouschichishowyflashy, tinselly, conspicuous, flaunty, tasteless,

And its not some weird and obscure word only used among a higher society of secret wizards. 

2 cool 4 school?

8. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know the definition, wiseguy. I was curious to as what the OP meant by it. You can keep your silly wisecrack. 

9. ljokjel

ljokjel

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Mistook your intention, and perceived you as coming down on him for using "fancy" words. My bad, but I hope you can see why.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

i read more for entertainment than knowledge, i average about 2 novels a month now that my drinking days are ( kind of) behind me. 

while i am increasing my vocabulary as i read im not really studying while reading Dune or LotR

11. chefjess606

chefjess606

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't even have time to cook most days. Open to close 6 days a week with my day off to catch up on paperwork! Any free time I have is dedicated to the mountain of cookbooks I have to broaden my skills. I also want to travel! One day I want to cook in Naples.... but right now this kitchen is my life.