professional chefs. do you have any time when you are not cooking. do you read etc?

Joined Feb 18, 2009
For me I have both a lot of passion and a little talent that could be honed in the right places.  My problem is I have other interests besides cooking. I want to travel to Haiti and initiate into vodun... I like the psychology of Carl Jung, Anthropology, Post Colonial Theory and African and Caribbean lit.  Im just not talented enough in academia all though it is true maybe I have not given it enough time.  Still, at 33,  I need to make a better living. and not put off making that living for that 15 years a phd would take.  I am in school for anthropology now, thinking of starting a food truck, and interviewing at various restaraunts. for the past five or so years i thought i wanted to be a haitian anthropologist.  But when I was younger than that I worked in many restaurants and wanted to be a cook.  Still have lots of second and third doubts.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Meh, I get enough pyschology and anthropology in hiring, training, and working with staff. Exposure to new languages, cultures and customs? Yup.

New communication skills?
Here's a new concept I learned just before I fired the person, you ready?
"If you can't read my mind, that must mean you don't like/respect me, and if you can't do that, why should I bother working for you?
What a concept!

So when I have free time, I lock myself in the garage and I......

...Make unique wood display fixtures for my confectionary and chocolate so I can get the aisle cap exposure in supermarkets. And then I can sell more product so I can cover my costs, which lets me
hire people who can expose me to new languages, cultures, and communication concepts.....

Its fun in my garage, I work alone, supervised occasionaly by my dog....

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I currently work on a campus and interact with many phd students from all over the world. According to them, a phd should take about five or six years give or take, not 15. So if you really wanted to do that, I don't see why you couldn't.  

I do a lot of reading in my spare time. Also writing and working on my older house. There are never enough hours in the day for all the things I would like to be doing. And like foodpump, cooking has exposed me to plenty of people and cultures from around the world. 

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I LOVE this answer:      
 Meh, I get enough pyschology and anthropology in hiring, training, and working with staff. Exposure to new languages, cultures and customs? Yup.
You GO!!! foodpump!!!

Joined Feb 18, 2009
didnt mean to come off as pretentious. in my younger days i didnt read as much and i regret it, so now i read more. and i had no clue about anthropology, marx, or theory. its a life goal of mine, literature and carl jung especially. i want to "be a jungian."

Last edited:
Joined Jul 1, 2009

LOL. ... What the what is "pretentious"?!?
Come on... If you are that curious, just google it.

pretentious

prɪˈtɛnʃəs/

adjective

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.
synonyms:affectedostentatiouschichishowyflashy, tinselly, conspicuous, flaunty, tasteless,
And its not some weird and obscure word only used among a higher society of secret wizards. 

2 cool 4 school?

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I know the definition, wiseguy. I was curious to as what the OP meant by it. You can keep your silly wisecrack. 

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Mistook your intention, and perceived you as coming down on him for using "fancy" words. My bad, but I hope you can see why.

G

i read more for entertainment than knowledge, i average about 2 novels a month now that my drinking days are ( kind of) behind me. 

while i am increasing my vocabulary as i read im not really studying while reading Dune or LotR

Joined Oct 29, 2016
I don't even have time to cook most days. Open to close 6 days a week with my day off to catch up on paperwork! Any free time I have is dedicated to the mountain of cookbooks I have to broaden my skills. I also want to travel! One day I want to cook in Naples.... but right now this kitchen is my life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom