Produce gone wild

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefjess606, Apr 9, 2017.

1. chefjess606

chefjess606

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Is anyone else experiencing a crazy produce jump right now? I'm in NE and my romaine is now $99 a case. It's supposed to only get worse over the next 4-6 weeks. Anyone else dealing with this as well?

2. internetbandito

internetbandito

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We are in Colorado, we had a big jump too. We are now at about $65/case. Up from $35ish a case last week. (for romaine that is).

3. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    New England here...and I thought the jump to 49 per case was crazy! 99 is nuts.

(Wait...are you in Nebraska or New England?)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. roch

roch

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm cutting mine with iceberg.....

5. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Can't do that with a caeser salad.

6. roch

roch

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    No, but I do with the house blend, and chicken Cesar wraps... Leaf has gone up subsequently,  ...

7. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I got an alert from a purveyor that romaine, leaf lettuce, broccoli, and several other things, are spiking right now due to availability. Didn't realize they were spiking that high tho. 

8. roch

roch

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    106.00 for a case yesterday..I passed....I live near a big grocery store .  They have it on for a lot less per head. I cleaned out the Romain section two days in a row by 8 a.m.. The old lady who stocks the produce hates me...She'll likely be waiting for me this morning...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Even Iceberg has jumped dramatically.  In two weeks I've seen it go from $24 a case to $56 a case.

10. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    ...as I used to say to my salesguy: 'Thats a lotta cabbage for lettuce'. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

11. perkinsj7007

perkinsj7007

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Our Romaine went up to $80/case. As previously mentioned, I too cut the romaine with iceberg for the house blend, but that is simply not an option for caesars, one of our best selling appetizers. 

12. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    86 it and offer kale caeser instead.

13. mini chef

mini chef

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I work for a major food distributor now. We've had crazy prices with all greens. Its because of the rain & crazy stuff going on in California that is driving the cost up.

14. roch

roch

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    It's hard to support your local producers when they drive the price up any chance they get...We've been getting lettuce at 110 bucks a case that somebody has been growing and I'm sure it didn't cost them any more because some "crazy rains" someplace. They take advantage of the increased demand, and then when something cheaper comes on the market they cry about how we should support our local producers..where is our support when we need it? It is hypocritical as far as I am concerned

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  15. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not on the Kale bandwagon. Taste like lawn clippings. I'd rather go with damn near anything else, as it seems "kale" is the new IN thing on so many menus.

linecookliz likes this.
  16. chefjess606

chefjess606

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I LOVE kale! Eaten raw, not so tasty. I like it slightly charred to give it a slight crunch and tossed in a nice jalapeño or citrus vinaigrette.

17. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Now it's navel oranges (we use for garnish at breakfast) and celery that's gone hunts which seems kind of random. Avocados are no bargain either!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017