Processed seafood (Squid & Lobster)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Dec 5, 2004.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    About 10 years ago, I was able to buy squid "steaks", layers of squid pressed together to form a thin cutlet. Flavor was good and it was much easier to prep/cook. I don't see it much anymore but was wondering what any of the rest of you thought if you have actually tried it.

And today I saw a molded slab of Squat lobster tail. It's a tailless lobster really (thus squat) and they mold the pincer meat? The sample was decent. It lacked some of the succulence of a well cooked whole tail, but was not rubbery. Price was on a par with 30-40 count shrimp. Ingredient list was Squat Lobster and Sodium Phosphate. At least not the Sodium Tri-Polyphosphate of scallop shame.

Any experiences?

Phil

2. ara gureghian

ara gureghian

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh, the same reason we go to sausages, pre-ground meat, bases and many other preserved or convenience foods that we don't make ourselves. I could find a bunch in your kitchen too that you accept blindly without thinking.

Technology in food is not automatically bad nor automatically good.

Phil

4. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    calamari steaks are readily availabe here on the west coast-anywhere from 3-6oz per steak. Sell well, cook quick, allows for good markup. Many places also cut em up for calamari strips-not my idea of fried calamari but hey.

No experience with lobster steaks, although an old steakhouse favorite-the scallone-is making a comeback here. Processed abalone and scallops in cutlet form.

hth, danny