Problems with cast iron dutch oven... HELP!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pete, Sep 17, 2000.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    First start by scubbing the whole thing down with a stainless steel pad. Scrub good and long. Next wash it with hot water and soap (I can't believe Im saying this about cast iron). Next reseason it by wiping the inside with veg. oil and leaving about 1 inch of oil in the bottom. But into a 250 degree oven and allow to heat for 1 hour. Turn off oven and allow to cool in the oven. When cool pour out oil and wipe down with a paper towel. Hopefully that will do the trick. Also try not to cook things with too high and acid content in it.

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    And what about using soap to clean cast iron, seems some do and some don't... opinions?

3. cookm

cookm

Was or is it rusty at all? I agree with Pete. Perhaps you might have to season it a couple of times.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Hello all,

I am hoping you can help me. I purchased an old but not much used cast iron dutch oven aobut 4-5 years ago. Seasoned it, and used it a few times. The last couple of times it has made the food have an incredibly iron like taste. [​IMG] I would love to continue to use it but not if it does that. We have a wok and other iron skillets that we use all the time with no problem, seasoned well with a nice coating of blackness.

Ideas? TIA

[This message has been edited by cchiu (edited September 17, 2000).]

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If it is seasoned well alittle soap will not hurt. I do not soak my cast iron, that seems to eat through the seasoning layer.

There are actually people that don't use soap at all on their cast iron pots...

6. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    What joy to find cast iron at a garage sale for 50 cents because the owner doesn't realize you can season and re-season many times.
    Scrub and re-season. season 3 times and you should have no trouble.

[​IMG]

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Seasoned once, looks much better already!!

Did sleuthing on the net, looks like a campfire is the best way to season a skillet. So I'll season it once or twice more. Whew, glad it worked. Thanks all.

[​IMG]

8. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Seasoned once, looks much better already!!

Did sleuthing on the net, looks like a campfire is the best way to season a skillet. So I'll season it once or twice more. Whew, glad it worked. Thanks all.

[​IMG]