Problems with a Lebkuchen Glaze

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by juliep, Dec 16, 2013.

1. juliep

juliep

Exp:
    At home cook
    I continually have problems with a Lebkuchen glaze recipe I got from Germany.

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

To make the icing: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Remove from heat and stir in the confectioners' sugar. If icing becomes sugary while brushing cookies, re-heat slightly- adding a little water until crystals dissolve.

When I stir in the confectioners' sugar, the mixture turns into solid sugar resembling snow. I then have to add water and continue cooking until I can get some semblance of a glaze. It is usually a chunky, messy mixture and I am never sure if it will dry properly on my cookies.

I am afraid if I leave out the confectioners' sugar, the glaze won't have the white flecks that make the cookies look authentic.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. I lived in Bavaria for 7 years and want a genuine glaze. Not a water and confectioners' sugar mix.

Thanks,

Julie

2. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ah, the joy of xlating . . .

it would seem the proportions / amounts are "off"

one thing I learned is that "USA granulated sugar" is - brand dependent - ground finer.  the  finer the grind the more weight fits in a cup...

if you can 'recover' the recipe in grams & ml - and use a scale - might be the best approach.

3. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Buy yourself some fondant, which it looks like you are attempting to make

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We make Lebkuchen every year.

You cook your glaze?

The glaze we use is powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, and milk.

A chemical reaction causes the glaze to harden.

We keep our Lebkuchen in a large tin with a slice of apple in foil to keep them from drying out.

Good stuff.