problem with cleaning copper pot

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Hi, I am not a professional but did some research and recently bought a Mauviel copper saucepan. However, I can't seem to clean it. I have used lemon, ketchup, salt, baking soda, wright's powder, barkeep's friend and none of them seem to have gotten rid of the greasy streaks that seem to be on the outside of the pot. I read that I should not scrub too hard as it would scratch the pan but I feel without huge scrubbing I won't get rid of these marks. Thanks for any thoughts, Yasmine

Joined Dec 18, 2010
That must be a tough stain to resist all of those time-proven copper cleaning options. A picture might help to describe what you are dealing with. Also, Mauviel has a cleaning product under their name... maybe try that????

Joined Jun 5, 2021
thanks for your reply. I will post a picture once I get it taken :). I am not sure the mauviel cleaning product is any different that wright's cream, both seem to be mentioned in the same breath, so to speak. Besides, I am in Canada and mauviel's copperbrill is very expensive here. I would try it as a last resort, still have to use ketchup again and wright's powder. I just don't have much faith it will come out unless I really scrub and I believe that scratches the pot. Anyway, I will post a picture, thanks, Yasmine

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I have 2 sets of Mauviel copper and use Barkeep's Friend exclusively. No scratches etc. Just use a soft sponge or cloth. Do not use a sponge that has a scrubber side. When used properly, the powder itself is not abrasive enough to scratch the copper. By "used properly", always mix the powder with a bit of water.

But, remember.....BF is essentially an acidic compound. So, if you have "hard water", which is typically on the base side of the pH scale (above 7), tap water will diminish the effectiveness of BF. So, if this is the case, gently heat some tap water on your stove and add some vinegar or lemon juice to it to lower the pH of the water.

To remove the streak stains, simply put some BF in a small bowl with some very hot water and make a paste that has a consistency that will gently flow as the bowl is tilted but, not runny. Also, gently heat your pan's surface under hot tap water. The warmer, the better.

Apply the paste to the stained area and let sit for a few minutes. Using your soft sponge or cloth, begin to rub in a circular motion where the stains have collected. They will disappear.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Joined Jun 5, 2021
I have the liquid barkeep's friend so I can use that (it is thick enough to stay on the pot a bit). Good idea to heat the pot, can do that too in hot water. I think I have not been scrubbing enough, and am just looking too hard for scratches, maybe. But will also post pictures when I can. Thanks so much for both of your time and information, Yasmine

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Hi, finally took some pictures. I tried ketchup and the pot ended up with a milky film (you can see the contrast in pictures 1 and 2). The areas that I tried to clean with salt and vinegar are still shiny but also have blotches on the pot (picture 3). I am also including a picture of the lid which I have not cleaned, which is still shiny and clear, and came with the round mark. I then tried Wright's and ended up with the cream turning green when I used the sponge that comes with the white cream. Huh??
Maybe this is what it is supposed to be like? That the pots do not end up ever looking like when they arrived. That from the minute you use the pot you can never get the uniform shine it had when it was new? But the green when using the wright cream was a bit frightening. I am also wondering if this is some sort of fake pot?
I appreciate everyone's time and efforts with this, thanks, Yasmine

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 6
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 6
Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi, finally took some pictures. I tried ketchup and the pot ended up with a milky film (you can see the contrast in pictures 1 and 2). The areas that I tried to clean with salt and vinegar are still shiny but also have blotches on the pot (picture 3). I am also including a picture of the lid which I have not cleaned, which is still shiny and clear, and came with the round mark. I then tried Wright's and ended up with the cream turning green when I used the sponge that comes with the white cream. Huh??
Maybe this is what it is supposed to be like? That the pots do not end up ever looking like when they arrived. That from the minute you use the pot you can never get the uniform shine it had when it was new? But the green when using the wright cream was a bit frightening. I am also wondering if this is some sort of fake pot?
I appreciate everyone's time and efforts with this, thanks, Yasmine
Cleaning copper is a skill that develops over time. Remember, you are using a chemical reaction to remove the residue of another chemical reaction, namely the oxidation of the copper. Even tap water will cause a reaction when added to the mix given the pH of your water and its mineral content.

If you're having trouble with streaking, perhaps your water is too hard? Try using distilled water with your copper cleaner. :)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Maybe this is what it is supposed to be like? That the pots do not end up ever looking like when they arrived.
This is fact. If you are using the pot it was converted from a showpiece to a working tool.

Even “display copper” that is never used will eventually lose the showroom shine depending on the quality of the original polishing and the lacquer used to preserve that shine.

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Hi, it is a new Mauviel pan so it better not have tarnish yet, lol! Thanks so very, very much for your reassurances and advice and product suggestions. And for your time and knowledge. I really appreciate knowing that I am not on the wrong track. I will keep experimenting with cleaners to see which does the best. My water is very soft, btw. Big thanks, Yasmine

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Hi, I am worried about how to get rid of the milky film caused by the ketchup. I am also a bit dismayed at how easy the research on copper cleaning made it seem and it certainly did not mention the issues I have been having! I am hoping wright's copper cream can get rid of the film. Or I can try barkeep's friend (I have the cream, not powder). Mauviel's cleaner is very expensive in Canada.

I really appreciate the advice, time and expertise, Yasmine

Latest posts

Top Bottom