Pro RESUME - Can I see it?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef1x, Dec 19, 2002.

1. chef1x

chef1x

This is something I can't seem to get my hands on:

a sample resume of a chef with about 15 years of experience, 7 of those as an exec. chef, etc. etc..

I brought my resume to a career counselor from my old culinary school, and he very wisely picked apart my resume and called it too "90's" and....I had to agree. Too centered around numbers and achievement, blah blah blah, he advised keep it simple but keep all the "experience" in. I've always been bad at selling myself and I haven't submitted a resume to anyone in over 10 years.

This counselor also suggested I needed to be more "strategic" and be more specific about where I wanted to be and why. The dilema I face is: I DON'T KNOW!!! I'm very flexible, I could be in NY, CA or possibly overseas. I could be corporate (gasp!), or stick to my favorite smalltime venues.....

What I'm looking for, people, is ANNONYMOUS samples of resumes that fit this kind of situation: format, what to list/not list,
    how deep your "references" should go, etc.

I can't seem to find anything that fits this description, maybe it's a taboo subject?

This guy suggested that I needed to legitimize a lot of stuff that I was surprised by.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!!!

1X

2. bigboydan

bigboydan

I have many resumes from prospective employees in my office drawer; I'll edit the person's name on one of them and post it; or I'll fax it to you.

Also, you need to state in your personal resume what you want to do for the next five years in the kitchen; flexability in "where" and for "whom" are ideas to ponder in your head, but you really need to look for a job that you are qualified for, and highlight that desire (you want to be an Exec.? say so.)

Stay tuned.

3. culinarian247

culinarian247

4. chef1x

chef1x

BBDan, I would be grateful if you could do that and thanks for the tips! I feel like I have all the information, I just don't know how to lay it all down.

247, my career counsler actually gave me that link, I guess they are pretty succesful head hunters, and it is very very helpful, but they don't give sample resumes. Before I even contact them, I need that resume, thanks!

5. culinarian247

culinarian247

Here's some without the names: I hope I'm not drawn and quartered for this................ :D I did delete the names.

EDIT: I'm sending this via PM, chef1x

6. chef1x

chef1x

Wow! Thanks a lot, that's really helpful.
    If you are concerned about privacy just resend it via private message. Of course this is all in the strictist confidence.

1X

7. aamir hashmi

aamir hashmi

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    Could you send me some resume's too? would help me to get some idea on how to build mine! 

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is a 13 year old thread.......