Private Chef Question

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by wildcat chef, Oct 21, 2001.

1. wildcat chef

wildcat chef

I'm looking for some advice on how to get into the private chef scene. Any help?:confused:

2. wildcat chef

wildcat chef

I understand, tis the witching hour. I look forward to your input, no matter how twisted it may be.

Rick

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Rick, the archives have a rich trove of info on Personal cheffing....how tos etc. There are pros and cons. I've been doing it for 6 years and love cooking for one family on Wednesdays.
    There are numerous ways to set up your business. Several on this site find it a lucrative alternative to restaurants, I like working at my speed during the day. From doing exclusively PC work to teaching, consulting, catering, running a farmer's market...can you tell I like variety.....check out old "Catering" threads. Welcome

4. wildcat chef

wildcat chef

Shroomgirl:

If you've got any personal do's and don'ts, I'd be happy to listen!
    Thanks for the response and the welcome!

Rick

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Figure out what your strengths are......I am creative, self motivated and like flex time.
    So in this 6 years I have worked with about 30-40 families....one throughout the whole time. There are many ways to "work" a pc business.
    Set recipes that people select from with a set weekly/biweekly rate. They get a certain amount (portioned out). This is for people that just enjoy cooking and like recipes.
    I do cost plus....plan the menu off the top of my head or scan books for ideas or eat out enough to gleen info. Get feed back from my client, then buy their groceries with their $ and get a salary.
    I'm not cheap......in a long run individuals find me too exspensive.
    Really sick people are not good clients, if you wanna please your children who eat differently than you do as well as yourself (I'm not the girl for you).....
    I like playing with the good shtuff...and have done discount type foods for a few families and it is just not ok to make green bean casserole all the time
    Do's figure out what you need, realize you are getting paid to provide a premium service and act accordingly
    Do have a contract
    Do network with others doing it to see what works for them
    I always had Friday off incase I needed to adjust a schedule
    Set up yourself from the beginning....what happens if your sick/vacation....talk about contengencies. For the first 4-6 weeks it is a process to see what hot is, feed back is imparative!!!!
    How does your client want to communicate?
    Talk money.....it's important to not be shy about what you both expect.

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    You might also contact:

American Personal Chef Association
    American Personal Chef Institute
    4572 Delaware Street
    San Diego, CA 92116
    (800) 644-8389
    (619) 294-2436

http://www.personalchef.com