Pritikin diet...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Feb 1, 2003.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well, I cooked for a lady that went to a pritikin camp for a week....essentially NO oil/fat, little flesh....fish ok, chicken occasionally or buffalo.....whole grains, fruits, vegetables are all ok. oh yeah and NO salt.
    So I made veg soup with tomato base. Onions and leeks with a seafood stock and seared swordfish with dillweed on top, brown rice, escarole and carrot ribbons, sprouted beans as a taco filling with sunflower sprouts, salsa, non-fat yogurt, whole wheat tortillas and grated carrots, beet, apple and arugula salad....NO fat....how the heck are you supposed to sautee without alittle oil?
    I ended up adding liquid and essentially boiling the veg....I could use help with techniques on this one.
    She also is using slendia as a sweetner, I believe apple juice concentrate is OK...and in my mind preferable.

2. caralien

caralien

I was on that diet YEARS ago (fortunately, no longer and I weigh the same!) and essentially would "dry saute" on a non-stick pan, which was closer to searing, but worked well enough. You could also try using reductions of stock, wine, or juices flavoured with herbs to "saute" meats and vegetables also.

Quickbreads/muffins were far easier, as whole grains with dried fruits and non-fat yogurt, mashed bananas, or applesauce work well as butter substitutes, and are naturally sweet.

Best of luck!

3. drew rosen

drew rosen

Hi,

I am the executive chef at the Pritikin Heath Resort & Spa in Florida.

The best way to dry saute is to use a use a very hot surgical or stainless steel pan. Do not use teflon! When it starts to caramelize then use a little stock or wine, better not reduced.

Drew

4. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Diets like Pritikin are used primarily to repair heart damage. People like Dr. Dean Ornish advise 10% fat to repair, 20% to maintain. It's not an easy lifestyle but it's a lot healthier than some of the other alternatives (I'm not even going to mention the "A" word).

Pritikin and Ornish are a bit extreme on the low-fat side but you can work around that by using chicken stock to "saute" in. An old WW trick.

For baked goods, try an even exchange of applesauce (for light colored baked goods) or prune puree (for dark colored baked goods) instead of butter.

Get out the garlic, shallots and strong-flavored herbs. Low-fat means practically no mouthfeel and you also need a flavor boost.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My bro-in-law was on a VERY low fat, low salt regime for a number of years and is now back on a more normal diet but still lower fat. The weight poured off of him as he simply couldn't consume enough calories to maintain his muscle mass, let alone fat.

It wasn't weight that was his issue so much as a type CAPITAL A personality and high stress jobs with a genetic pre-disposition for bad triglycerides. He's learned more to relax and it helps him eat better overall too.

They did the chicken stock saute routine, though it seems there was also some non-stick spraying going on too for trace amounts of added fat at the start.

Phil

6. travelchick

travelchick

If I can't have my butter, coconut oil and sea salt then just kill me now!!! :D

7. bunbun

bunbun

I have recently started down the road of whole grain low fat as well. i just bought some instant corn masa mix that has no preservatives and uses ground whole kernal corn. (masecA BRAND HAS NO FAT ) fish tamalies come to mind and spanish rice substituting chicken for the bacon of course. or even fish forthe bacon. I have also fallen in love with bannana pancakes ( i use white whole wheat and a full banana to every one cup flour in the recipe.) GOOD LUCK