Prioritize which equpiment to buy first

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by w.debord, Nov 15, 2002.

1. w.debord

w.debord

At my new job we need to purchase some very basic equpiment. The problem is: choosing to smartest items, best quality for lowest prices too.

Right now we haven't any items to make individual desserts or side dishes for a party over 20 people. Nothing to make a creme brulee, cobbler, souffle....no stainless ring molds at all.... our soup cups can't double because of their design, we also don't have enough for both soup and dessert.

Soooo keeping costs in mind what piece of equpiment do you think would be the wisest buy for the whole kitchen. We'd need to buy about 250 of the item to do a sit down.

A souffle dish

A creme brulee dish

a different shaped soup cup

stainless steel 3" (aprox.) ring molds

Then any brands you really like or dislike? JB Prince is a bit high on costs anyone have another source for a better price?

THANKS

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    How often will you need any of these items? Could you just rent them when you need them? (Then you don't even have to worry about washing them after use.)

3. catciao

catciao

I think I can atleast help with one item. I just received 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" and 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" ring molds I ordered through FoxRun. They call them Rosti Rings. They are $1.25 and $1.50 each sold in a case of 12 ($15 and $18, I'll do the math for you ;) The item numbers are 4686 and 4687.

You can reach them at:

FoxRun Craftsmen
    1907 Stout Dr. P.O. Box 2727
    Ivyland, PA 18974

Tel 800-372-0700 Fax 215-675-4508

Their website is not running so you'll need to fax in your order or call. Also, I would request their catalog. I believe the other items you're looking for will be in there.

Good luck!

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For the ring molds, are you going to be baking with them? If not what about PCV? I used to have a whole tool box devoted to various sizes of PCV for molding desserts and entrees.

5. catciao

catciao

I agree with Pete that PVC definately works great for cooking. I've gone to Home Depot to have them cut for me in various sizes. You could also save up your tuna cans or soup cans and cut them yourself.;)

6. w.debord

w.debord

You can only assemble items in pvc. With desserts you need to line each with acetate so you can release them cleanly. It's time consuming.....which leads me to eliminate ring molds for now.

Wow Catciao, that seems like an auesome price! JBPrince and other places I've seen them run over 5.00 a piece.

Renting a couple times usually equals your cost. So it "usually" smarter to buy.....I believe.

What do you Chefs think you'd use more a souffle dish or a shallower brulee dish?

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    ok. Moving and my internet line was down for a couple of days.
    Wendy
    WHERE ARE YOU??? At a new place? still at the club??? Who is buying the equipment? Those idiots, or have they done something to make you happy? gosh, three days without this stupid box and I feel like it's been an etenity. Why are you using acitate in the pvc?

8. w.debord

w.debord

Hey Jeff, yes I'm at the club and hoping to stay they are working on keeping me happy and I believe they'll do their best. Now I really need to prove I'm as capible as I've told them.

I'm not certain who will be doing the actual ordering for bigger purchases like this (probably the chef or manager). But we'll all work together to find the best price and best equpiment for our needs.

Yes I use acetate when assembling in pvc....are you saying I don't need to? Sure if the item is frozen I could pop it out, but I can't bake in them, etc...

I'm thinking the smartest investment would be a brulee dish. So on huge parties year round we could sell cobblers, brulees and assorted hot baked items....I even have a form of a souffle I make in them. Have any better ideas?

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would go with a souffle dish. You can still do creme brulees out of those if you want to. You have more flexibilty with them. You can do clafoutis, creme brulees, panacotta, flan, cheesecake, all kinds of custards, fill it with mousse, cobbler, hockey pucks...

Kuan