Prime Rib?!?!

Joined Oct 1, 2002
OK......We all know there are many many restaurants that have the famed "prime rib" special on friday or saturday nights. My question is this....can this be misleading by calling it "prime" rib?, since the term refers to the quality of the meat itself ie. prime, choice, select? From what I know, that paticular cut of meat is a ribeye roast, but I guess prime rib sounds more appealing.
Personally, one of my favorite steaks is a ribeye, about an inch and a half thick cooked rare. I would take that over a fillet any day, unless of course that fillet happened to be stuffed with lobster and wrapped in smoke hickory smoked bacon.... :lips:
Im gettin hungry.....:smiles:

Ciao.....paisan

Joined Oct 28, 1999
My understanding of "Prime" rib is not necessarily the USDA grade (prime, choice, select, standard, cutter, canner, etc) but that it refers to the Primal cut. There are 7 primal cuts like the rib, loin, chuck, and round as well as subprimal cuts, like a rib eye, etc. So, I would think that a restaurant serving a rib cut (as defined by the NAMPF book) that falls into a primal category (#109), can be labled a Prime Rib. There have certainly been fabrications that are called Prime Rib, but that 'stretching the truth' has been around forever. Does that help?

Joined Oct 1, 2002
Thanks for the insight Jim. I hadnt thought of the term "prime rib" referring to the "primal" cut of the rib itself. Now I get it..... lol

Ciao.....paisan

Latest posts

Top Bottom