Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by barry carlton, Jan 14, 2015.

1. barry carlton

barry carlton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    We cook 2 entire rib roasts for a special dinner once a month at the facility I work at. We are nearly always cutting it too close to the serve time. We have 2 deck ovens and one convection. We have been cooking both roasts in the same deck oven. My question is....would it be more effective to use both deck ovens with one roast in each? My other cook and I were discussing the pros and cons and cannot come up with a difinitive solution.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    More effective from what point of view and why? Considerations being time, labor, energy, food cost.

3. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Why not just start them earlier?

4. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Or cut the ribs off or turn the oven up. I presume no one is there to throw them in. Little earlier?

5. westbigballin

westbigballin

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Knowing what time you start prep and what time you need it for service would help too.

I'm a huge fan of the reverse sear method personally. Low and slow at 200 (maybe higher if you're in a hurry), rest, then finish at 500.
    12# bone in roast took me 4 hours at 200.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. barry carlton

barry carlton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Getting them done just a little sooner so we (my pm cook) aren't cutting it so close to serve time. Skill level of cook precludes starting them earlier.

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How hard is it to cut open a bag, put meat in a pan, season & put in the oven. You could train a monkey to do that.

oldschool1982 likes this.
  8. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, cooking the roasts separately in the two deck ovens will be faster, all things being equal.