Prime Rib sauce?

Joined Aug 8, 2004
What is that sauce that they serve you with your Prime Rib in nearly every restaurant? Its really thin, very watery, gravy like sauce. So i believe it was made out of drippings of roasting the ribs. But when i roast the ribs, i put rock salt on the bottom of the pan, so they dripping gets in the rock salt.

Does anyone know the sauce im talking about? Can someone tell me how to make it using the rock salt cooking method?

Thank you

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Au jus, meaning with jus. It's just jus, or juice. Rib juice. Prime rib juice in this case.

Just don't use the rock salt. Just use a regular sheet pan, defat, deglaze, reduce, scrape scrape scrape. ;) Serve with popovers or yorkshire pudding.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I of course agree with Kuan,

If I may add that you want to use a high walled roasting pan as standing rib roast expels a great deal of fat that may run over a traditional sheet pan. Also to add flavor to your Au jus, you can tuck a miro poix under the meat to enhance your fond.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've been doing the mire poix thing. Very pleased with the results.

Phil

Joined Jul 30, 2004
Keep some dry beef base on hand. If you run low on the au jus from your roasted beef, add a little warm water to the dry and warm....it will get you by in a real pinch...or extend the au jus you have available.

Top Bottom