Prime Rib Roast

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by motherfunk, Dec 22, 2016.

1. motherfunk

motherfunk

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello and Happy Holidays!

I am attempting prime rib for the first time this year. I will be roasting 2  5 pound roasts in the same pan. Do I follow the cooking time for a 5 pound roast or for 10 pound roast?  Reading other threads I see that I can put them in one pan, face to face. or - should I tie them together and treat as one?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Elizabeth

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Are they boneless or bone in? This matters in the cooking time. I would not tie them together. Since they are such small roasts I would suggest searing them first because they won't be cooking long enough to develop adequate browning.

I am really fond of dry brining these days. Salt liberally on all sides and leave in the fridge over night. Then I rinse and pat dry very well. Dear on all sides until golden. Remove from the pan and lay down a bed of roughly chopped veggies like onions, garlic, carrot and celery and herbs. Now I like to brush the roast with a past made with mustard, a touch of olive oil, dried herbs, minced garlic, and whatever spices you enjoy. Lots of cracked black pepper. Then prop the roast on the veggies and cook till desired tenderness.