prime rib - help

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by andrea doughty, Dec 12, 2004.

1. andrea doughty

andrea doughty

hi this is my first time cooking a prime rib.
    i need some advice, ive gotten all sorts of different suggestions on when to pull the meat out of the oven. (all conflicting)
    ill be cooking 2 4 rib roasts, and would like it to be med rare.
    also does it change the time because im cooking 2 at one time?

with the meat thermomator, if i pull it out at 125 lets say will it go to 135, and therefore should be perfect?

and, at what temp would you suggest? and is 20 minutes a pound right

thanks i would appreciate any help i can get
    andi

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Andi and welcome to Chef Talk Cafe.

The Welcome Forum, where you posted this request, is for introductions only. I am moving it to a better forum where your question will attract the answers and attention it deserves.

Please come on back to the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself, so we can give you a proper welcome!

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Andrea, I've had good luck using James Beard's directions for prime rib. He says to dry off the meat and season generously with salt and pepper. Place in on a rack in a roasting pan with low sides.

Beard mentions two methods- one starts off blazing hot and finishes slow; the other uses a steady low heat, which I favor and describe below, summarized from The James Beard Cookbook (1959 edition, 1975 printing).

Preheat the oven to 325. Do not baste the roast during cooking! You'll have nice, crispy outside if the roast is truly prime and has a decent cap of fat and marbling. :lips:

For rare beef: 20-22 mins. per pound (remove when internal is temp 120F)
    For medium-rare beef: 22-26 mins. per lb (remove when internal is temp 130F)
    For medium beef: 26-30 mins. per lb (remove when internal is temp 140F)
    For well-done: 30-36 mins. per pound (remove when internal is temp 150F)

Remove when the thermometer is at the desired temperature. Let the roast stand 15-30 minutes before carving (cover if you like). This lets the juices settle down and distribute throughout the roast. It prevents having all the juices gush out onto your carving board.

4. spice tree

spice tree

Andrea,

I don't know how to cook prime rib in an oven but go to Texasbbqrubcom. The forum there will help you with that. They are selling bareque rub, a real genuine guy Bill cannon will help you with all your questions. you can call him too. He is a barbeque guru.

5. bhlocavore

bhlocavore

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This original post was from 2004 but provided a perfect prime rib tonight. I did a kosher salt / sugar / pepper / garlic / paprika / olive oil paste rub and it was simply to die for. Thanks for the cooking times tips!