Prices of Wines... You must be joking...

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Ok you will hate me for that (too)

BUT I saw Nicko's post on Merlot and Cape Chef's reply and I fell off my chair

550 USA$ for a bottle of wine???????

You must be joking... I hope I understood well and you weren't talking about Olive OIl...

With 550$ dear Cape Chef, you can come to Greece-Mani with your wife ( without air fares of course) stay for a week in a luxurious Tower with one of the most spectacular views on this planet and have a culinary adventure to the villages of Mani that produce the best olive Oil on Earth ( according to those that they dare not to admit that the olive oil from Mani is the best, our olive Oil is the second best...)
Also I guarantee that for this amount of money you will have for lunch or dinner the most fresh fish, just coming out of the sea the same day you are going to consume it.

Also I won't mention the fact that you will meet interesting people that they will open their house to you in a way only Greeks know how to.

The tourist guide is my treat ;)

Next time you decide to spend 550$ on a bottle of wine think that you are losing a week of luxurious vacations on an Paradise.

Thanks for listening to my rant

Athenaeus :)

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Athenaues,

I do some thoughts on your thread.

Please give me a day or so to get back to you.
Thanks
cc

Joined Jan 11, 2002
Athenaeus,
the fact is that people who can spend $ 550 on a bottle of Petrus also has other 550 for a fabulous week of vacation in Mani and other 550 for a dinner at Senderens' and other 550 for an Armani T-shirt and so on...
Right or not, the prices raise up when there is someone who can afford them, unfortunately
:(

Pongi

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Yes you are right but I wonder what makes a bottle of Petrus so desirable.
I suspect that is the high price...

The same as Armani shirts that just have the stamp Armani on it.( I am not talking for haute couture now)

Maybe it's just the ...label

So, instead of a label I 'd rather take the real experience...

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Athenaeus,

What Pongi just mentioned is indeed a big part of the equation.

Many people do have this type of “disposible” to purchase wines at this level.
There is however more involved with the pricing issues of wine.

The fact is, if you are willing to pay the price, then the price will be set at what the market will bare.

Also vintage needs to be taken into consideration, Let’s take 1986 in Bordeaux as an example. This year produced stunning wines, not to mention the highest level of tannin ever recorded. So these wines received all kinds of outraguos scores and praise from the barrel samples. The ferver insued, and the prices for futures started to rise.

A bottle of Mouton on release would cost over $100 dollors (remember this is 16 years ago) today the same wine would fetch $325-$400 easaly at auction.

The previous year in Burgundy (1985) produced some of the richest, complex and powerful Burgundies in years. Again, any wine from the DRC (Domain Romanee Conti) would be released at $250 a bottle; Richburgs, la Tach and Grand Ezsecoux were no exception.

Again, This wine today would fetch $1000 a bottle for the 85 DRC.
I follow the wine auctions of Christies and Sothibys and it’s truly amazing what some wines will demand.

If you fast-forward to 1987 in Bordeaux, This was a pretty fair year at best.
Condidered mostly a “restaurant”vintage. Lighter wines, less consintration of fruit and structure and the wines really lacked finess.
These wines could be had at a fraction of the cost of the 86. Prices also flucuate with regard to how much wine is in the pipeline.

What I mean by “pipeline” is, if you have a couple medeorcer vintages in a row, people will be less in a rush to secure these wines. They don’t sell and so they plug the pipeline.
The vintners know this, and also know that soon will be another harvest so they have to move out the wines somehow. Down comes the price and they’re bought up and room is made for the next vintage.

Also there is production. (How many cases are available of the big name wines)

Great vintage+great wine+limited availability will also jack up the prices.
If Petrus makes 700 cases of wine in 1986 and Trotonoy makes 2500 cases the same year, which do you think will be clamored for by the collectors? Petrus ofcourse.

Prestige also plays a roll in the way people purchase wine, they love to be able to one up eachother, silly but true (human nature I guess)

I do have some other thoughts, but I suppose I should get back to the kitchen
cc

Joined Jan 11, 2002
You're absolutely RIGHT!
There's alot of people who loves eating, drinking and dressing $ 550 instead of a food, a wine or a shirt...
As for Petrus, can't say anything as I can't spend $ 550 on a bottle...but some years ago for a special occasion I have payed $ 160 on a bottle of Chateau D'Yquem and believe me, I've been VERY, VERY HAPPY!:lips: :crazy: :lips: :crazy:

Pongi

Top Bottom