price of beef

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I was in costco and saw 4 steaks $73+ and up. I passed lot of cows coming home from Florida and none were walking on golden felds or wearing desinger clothes or riding around in a limo. Enough with covid or drivers or any other excuses come clean you are bunch of đź’© shovels.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
There's a lot things in between a cow in the field and the product in the store.

Beef started to climb 7 or so years ago when ethanol when ethanol production was incentivized--largely sourced from corn. Corn for feed became more expensive as there were more profitable places for it to be sold.

Meat packing has been hit pretty hard by covid outbreaks and the working conditions being prime for transmission generally. Added costs to control.

The Great Quitting we are in the midst of.

Warehouse, and transit worker shortage with other parts of the economy paying premiums for access. Even though there have been train sidings packed with idle cars for over 10 years here in the west.

Fuel cost spikes

General inflation pressure right now.

There are a lot of non-cow forces shaping prices.

On the other hand, Costco has reserved containers and ships to insulate their business from shipping shortages. I don't know what steps they've taken regarding trucking and trains.

Joined May 5, 2010
At the grocery where I work, the beef prices sky-rocketed just after things got back to semi-normal. We got great prices on ribeye's, strips, and tenderloin, when restaurants were all closed and beef prices came down a lot.
I see a package of one boneless ribeye steak go for $23.00 now.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I keep thinking I need to buy a freezer, so I can take advantage of deals when they come along.

20201220_080005.jpg

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
It was December of 2020. And there was this in September of 2020.

20200910_082515.jpg

Full packer cuts for 2 bucks a pound? What are they selling for at this time?

mjb.

Joined Mar 18, 2021
I've never bought any steaks from Costco. Saw their brisket prices and never bothered looking at their selection.

I have a grocery app with all the major food outlets and check for sales. Bought 4 steaks last month at $6.99 a pound (2 per package) for $18 and $19 per package.

Just the right amount of fat, but have to search through the lot for the good ones

Prior to this. Didn't buy any for a few months as I didn't like the prices

Currently checking for a prime rib roast and single brisket

DON

Joined Jun 7, 2021
We, as consumers, have three options, boycott, accept the store prices, put pressure on regulators to control prices. Lucky people who have the land can grow their own livestock.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Was just at the local Kroger affiliate down the street, same place that had $1.99 brisket a year ago. Today, $6.99 a pound.

mjb.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I've raised and butchered my own four pigs, using mostly unsold foodstuff from local grocery stores. I still had to purchase grain, go pick up the foodstuff, get water, clean up the shed, get straw, put up and maintain an electrical fence, lost one out of the four pigs to a parasitic infection, then transport the three remaining pigs, slaughter them, rent a lab to transform the carcasses, freezers to store the meat etc...

I know I'm not a professional, but still: how anyone can offer any kind of meat for $1.99 is beyond me.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I hadn't paid much attention to the price of beef around here in Vancouver, BC, been eating a lot of fish and whatever's in the freezer.

Looking at grocery store flyers, beef/chicken is higher than it used to be, but not crazy high, maybe 30%. Pork hasn't changed much.

I usually shop at a butcher that cuts whole carcasses and supplies restaurants, so prices/quality can be much better than grocery stores.

During the first months of the pandemic, beef prices were much higher, and availability much less. Meat packing plants were hit hard by covid, Things are pretty much under control here now.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I've raised and butchered my own four pigs, using mostly unsold foodstuff from local grocery stores. I still had to purchase grain, go pick up the foodstuff, get water, clean up the shed, get straw, put up and maintain an electrical fence, lost one out of the four pigs to a parasitic infection, then transport the three remaining pigs, slaughter them, rent a lab to transform the carcasses, freezers to store the meat etc...

I know I'm not a professional, but still: how anyone can offer any kind of meat for $1.99 is beyond me.
We've also raised our own, and currently buy from local farmers. It's generally more expensive, but for us it is worth the additional cost to know we are not contributing to CAFO farming and the resulting ill effects for the animals and surrounding environments. We eat less meat, but better quality.

Right now the store prices are approaching what we pay, so we are seeing more people try the local foods. Hope to see some stay with it for the long run.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
i also haven't seen to many empty shelves, bjs, costco, and other stores still full. Turkey going .89 lb and up. What I'm seeing is smaller cans and packs around 1/3 less weight than before with higher price, 6 oz. Can of tuna is 4 oz. Tuna rest water and cranberry sauce now 13 oz when used to be 16 oz. Utzs chips use to be $13 for 60 bags is now $20 for around 40

Top Bottom