Preventing Clumps in Rice Cooker

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by stargazer, Feb 14, 2016.

1. stargazer

stargazer

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have been using a rice cooker to make rice, cous cous, or quinoa for almost every meal I have lately.  The rice cooker that I have cooks the rice perfectly, but it always comes out clumpy!  I have tried using more/less water, but it doesn't seem to change the outcome.  The rice tastes great and seems to be cooked just fine, but it comes out in a huge clump...I could probably stick a knife in the middle and pull out the entire "rice cube" in one piece.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can prevent this, and actually get the rice to not stick together?

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I use a rice cooker at home, probably 2-3 times a week. After the rice is cooked, I let it stay in warm mode for 15 minutes, no peeking, no stirring, etc. Then I pop the lid and fluff the rice, lid back down and let sit another 5-10 minutes, still in warm mode. Then it is ready to go. This way works great for me.

phatch likes this.
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Some rice is intended to clump and stick such as Asian short grain rices. A long grain rice like jasmine of basmati clump less. Some standing time and a fluff as per cheflayne works great.

4. payton29

payton29

Exp:
    At home cook
    balance the water. if you use 6 cups of rice, then pour 6 cups of water too. The other suggestion from cheflayne is right. After the rice is cooked, let it stay in warm mode for about 10-15 more minutes.

5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Also wash the rice several times before cooking, until the water comes out clean.

6. stargazer

stargazer

Exp:
    At home cook
    Basmati is usually what I cook, but it clumps just as much as anything.  I have tried keeping it in warm mode also, but it doesn't seem to really help, other than keeping it warm.  The one suggestion I haven't tried is washing the rice first - I will try that next time and see if it helps.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Check your rice for broken pieces, usually found in the less expensive brands these pieces cook faster and are gummy and can def ruin the entire dish.

Also, what brand/type of cooker are you using?

May be a design flaw...

mimi

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Basmati can take a lot of water.  In fact, the more water it absorbs the better it absorbs the fragrance.  It is also the only rice I cook with a pinch of salt.

Soak the Basmati for a half hour or so, then use 1.75c water to 1c Basmati rice.

9. stargazer

stargazer

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm using the Aroma rice cooker - here's a link to it on Amazon: 

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    @Stargazer nice cooker.

Hugely popular according to verified purchaser comments.

Great price as well.

May have to order a few for gifts lol.

mimi

11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I have an aroma as well and am quite happy with it.