Presidential State Dinner

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jellly, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Out of curiosity, I read the menu for tonight's state dinner in honor of Angela Merkel.  It was titled "Spring Harvest Dinner" and sounded delicious.  But dessert was apple strudel...for a spring menu?? Am I missing something?

I recently had to order a case of apples at work and they are quite awful this time of year.  Early varieties of cherries are starting to show up in our farmer's markets, why not cherry strudel?

I know a lot of places are guilty of using out-of-season produce, it just surprises me with all of Chef Kass' discussion of seasonal and regional ingredients that something 6-months off peak would be featured in a course.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Apples that are sold this time of year were harvested last fall and kept in humidity and temperature controlled warehouses.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If mrs. Obama plans the dinner God knows? I hope it;s not the way she dresses.

4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    What amazed me were the comments: few had anything cogent to say about the menu. Rather, the vast majority used it as a platform for presidential bashing---with their biases (and, often, room temperature IQs) showing.

I agree with you, Jellly, a desert that was more seasonal might have been a better choice. I also thought parts of it were kind of trite----I mean, how much more tuna tartare are we going to be subjected to.

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Kinda understated menu if you ask me.  Nothing special but probably by design.  The meal is not the focus of the visit.

6. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I think the accompaniments to the tuna tartar where more interesting then the tartar itself. Carrots and mustard oil is something I really like in Indian style pickles. Never thought of shaved ham and gingersnaps before. Sounds interesting.
    What's Tophen?

Here's what the Chinese got in jan:
    The Indians in Nov
    The Mexicans May

7. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ooh, that dinner for the Mexican visit sounds delicious (well, at least the savory courses.  Personally, I am not in love with cajeta).

8. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I dig the cateja, but usually the cow versions.

I'd be in the mood for the chinese menu, but with the mexican dessert.

IIRC, Bayless did the Mexican state dinner, and Marcus Samualson did the Indian state dinner.

9. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    What's Tophen?

It's sort of like a sweet cottage cheese. A curd cheese, at any rate, often used in German and Austrian desserts.

10. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ah, thanks! They used an unusual spelling for it, so the almighty google was useless.

Basically it's quark. Cool