Preserving Bread

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by isa, Jul 23, 2001.

1. isa

isa

Second attempt at white bread, something between a baguette and a bâtard. I started with a poolish. Next time I’ll do it early in the morning to be able to enjoy fresh bread at dinnertime. It looks good, smells good, no yeasty odour. Taste test tomorrow morning. I’ll keep my fingers crust. ;)

I have this nice bread sitting on the counter and I am wondering what really is the best way to preserve it. Wrap it in paper? In Plastic? Leaving it on the counter? In the fridge? Every book has it’s own theory on the subject. What is the best way?

Thanks!

2. kimmie

kimmie

Once my bread is completely cooled, I like to put it in a paper bag. I get stacks from the baker (when he his head is turned away)!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

3. isa

isa

Thanks Kimmie. Wish I had a baker to steal paper bag from. I wrapped the bread in tea towels for the night. I doubt I have paper bag, every store gives you plastic so for now I guess the tea towels will have to do.

The bread turned out fantastic, in all modesty. Nice crust, crunchy and golden. The crumb is white, moit and airy with no really big holes. Best of all no yeast odour or after taste!

Maybe Fleishman & I are not made for each other, I used fresh yeast for this loaf. It doesn't have that yeasty odour that Fleishman has.

4. kimmie

kimmie

You're welcome Iza. As far as the bags from the baker are concerned, it makes up for charging me too much for the fresh yeast!

:)

5. isa

isa

He he he Kimmie. Good point. You know I'm glad to pay 1.00$ for 100 grams. I'm happy I can find the yeast easily and have some whenever I need it.