Chef Forum banner

Preserving apples!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  maryb 
#1 ·
I love apples mid winter and the ones that have been in storage are bland/mealy to me. So I like to get a good cooking apple and can them for use until spring fruits start. Today was a peck of Haralson apples that I peeled and sliced(gotta love old fashioned kitchen gadgets for this!) on the peeler/corer/slicer. Packed into jars with a medium syrup then water bath canned for 20 minutes. Shelf stable and will easily store for a couple years but they never last that long around me!

#4 ·
Great thread.

We have several varieties in our orchard. Sweet Sixteens, Northern Spies, Macs and Red Beauties.

Some of it goes to making apple cider.

We take a bushel or 2 over to the elementary school and do a "show and tell" with our cider press for the kids.

The kids take turns pressing the apples and using the hand crank. Afterwards, everyone gets to try the cider.

I make apple pie filling and can that.

It takes 2 quart jars to make 1 pie.

I add cinnamon, butter, sugar, and vanilla, cook it down, then can.

Been doing this for years.

#5 ·
I do pints because I am cooking for one person. Both pints and quarts process for 20 minutes. Make sure to use a medium or light syrup because the sugar is the preservative for these. I make little mini pies so I don't have a ton of leftover pie(and so I don't have to eat a whole pie in 3-4 days!). I found some 6 inch pie plates on amazon a couple years ago.

#6 ·
line pie plates with enough plastic wrap to over lap

peel and more or less... make apple pie filling. Sugar, seasonings and such....

place in pie plate, cover with plastic wrap and freeze.  Once frozen remove from pie plate and wrap for freezer storage. You will have ready to go apple pie filling all year long.

#8 ·
If you mainly use them for pie go ahead and make them up into filling.

My Gma would do this then process in jars.

No freezer space necessary...

mimi

Do you like mincemeat?

A lot of work but the reward is there when you pop the seal...... I eat it straight from the jar lol.

m.

#10 ·
I eat the bulk of them right from the jar.... I am to lazy to bake a pie most of the time! Canning them plain gives me a lot more options when I use them. I am not limited by how I spiced them in the jar.
Fair enuf.....
You will get this then..... after posting yesterday had such a craving for mincemeat I had to go comb the grocery shelves for some.
Came home with 3 jars and couldn't even wait for them to get cold..... opened one and attacked the contents with an ice tea spoon lolol.

mimi

#11 ·
I do make a lot of apple crisp, like it better than pie! Something else that is good is drain the liquid into a pan, reduce and thicken it, chop and add the apples back to heat through then pour it over ice cream. Some cinnamon and nutmeg are good when making the syrup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.