prepping turkey stuffing and food safety

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Nov 21, 2005.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We're making two kinds of stuffing (traditional bread and semi-trad cornbread/sausage) for Thanksgiving (duh ;) ). Both will be cooked outside of the bird, and both require a raw egg mixed in before baking.
    My basic question is how much and how long before cooking can we prep them?

1. Can we just saute and blend everything (including the raw eggs) in the morning and then put them in the fridge until it's time to bake?
    2. Do everything but the eggs and let sit outside the fridge?
    3. Saute what needs sauteing and then refridgerate that separate from the bread and liquids until baking?

etc. etc. etc.

We're just trying to save time and aggravation without poisoning our friends :crazy:

2. markv

markv

Well for starters, 1 in 20,000 eggs has salmonella so it's extremely likely that your friends will still be around after the holiday. Nevertheless, I would make the stuffing in it's entirety and refrigerate it. Then, before re-heating it I would add chicken stock and/or olive oil to replace any moisture loss during storage and re-heating. Don't re-heat any more than is necessary.

Mark

3. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks MarkV! That's what we were hoping.

4. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    If you need confirmation of what mark said, I do that every year; make the stuffing on the Wednesday, refigerate it and reheat on the Thursday. The same family members still show up so I haven't lost any yet :D

Jock

5. markv

markv

Why thank you Jock.

You are the fond on the roasting pan of life!

Mark