Preping food for freezing

Joined Oct 21, 2018
I was wondering if there were any recommendations on how to prep and cook food (complete meals) freeze and then reheat in an oven. I know some sauces that use a thickener can seperate but was wondering if there were any other suggestions.
Thanks

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi ChefRossy,

There are specific tricks for certain dishes, I'm sure. Arrowroot can work for freezing sauces that don't separate as much, but I don't have first hand experience with that. There are probably some of the new family of gums, gels, and algae extracts that might be useful. I forgot what they call making Pearls of ginger scented beet juice kind of stuff... I'm old. :(

If you were to provide a specific menu, others may have better info. I may even have better input for you!

The only thing I know is that you want to get whatever the item is, frozen as fast as possible to make smaller ice crystals. Larger ice crystals rupture more cells and reduce quality because of liquid loss in the item. So smaller, flatter shapes freeze faster than a larger, rounder item.

Joined Oct 21, 2018
Hi ChefRossy,

There are specific tricks for certain dishes, I'm sure. Arrowroot can work for freezing sauces that don't separate as much, but I don't have first hand experience with that. There are probably some of the new family of gums, gels, and algae extracts that might be useful. I forgot what they call making Pearls of ginger scented beet juice kind of stuff... I'm old. :(

If you were to provide a specific menu, others may have better info. I may even have better input for you!

The only thing I know is that you want to get whatever the item is, frozen as fast as possible to make smaller ice crystals. Larger ice crystals rupture more cells and reduce quality because of liquid loss in the item. So smaller, flatter shapes freeze faster than a larger, rounder item.
Thanks for replying, I am trying to keep the sauces without thickeners and with some testing (spaghetti with marinara and cashew alfredo sauce) it seems better to keep them thin as reheating them tends to make them thick. I'm still working on the recipes and thinking of joining a pro association to see if they have any ideas on meals for personal chefs.

Top Bottom