precooking risotto

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Oct 5, 2002.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've always cooked risotto completely once I'd started, but I've never made it for company before. I don't want to stand stirring for 30 minutes while my friends watch if I don't have to. Don't some restaurants precook or partially cook the risotto and then finish it for each order? How far is it precooked? Does this affect the flavour or the consistency? If so, I'll stand or take shifts with my husband.
    Also, Marcella H. says to boil asparagus and then add it to the shallot saute at the beginning. With all that liquid being added, couldn't you just chop up the raw asparagus and saute it with the shallots and then let the liquid finish the cooking?

thanks for your help! :)

2. paisan

paisan

Sure you can....in the retaurant, we cant spare the cooking space to spend the 22 or so minutes it takes to cook it out. Cook it about 2/3 of the way,and then spread it out on a sheet pan to cool and reserve until service. Now the asparagus...im assuming this is going into the risotto? The last time I made it, i did the risotto ahead of time, so I blanched the asparagus quickly and then shocked it. When it came time to finish the risotto, i added the asparagus right to the pan along with some recostituted porcini and added the rest of the cooking liquid to finish it off. Hope this helps!

Ciao....paisan

chefed82 likes this.
  3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Phoebe,

Paisons info is spot on.

This is common practice in restaurants to par the rice (for me about 1/2 cooked) then spread on the sheet pan and cooled.

We then keep simmering stock on the stove and finish the risotto to order with stock,some parm and some butter.

chefed82 likes this.
  4. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. And, if you folks can bear with me, I'll probably be asking more ahead-of-time prep questions in the future. :)

5. davewarne

davewarne

Hi,

Thanks for the posting, it's a question I always wanted the answer to.
    By coincidence we are doing crisp fried risotto cakes on the menu at the moment. Uses up left over cold risotto. Just add a bit of parmesan and fry in ring in olive oil.
    Great.

Dave

6. mofo1

mofo1

Here's an idea that I like. Have you ever tasted roasted asparagus? A ittle olive oil, some kosher salt, roast in hot oven until crisp-tender and then finish your risotto with that. Yum.

7. pollyg

pollyg

Yes! Roast asparagus is lovely...
    Here's what I was thinking:
    It's nice to have some asp cooked in the base because then you get more of it's flavour through the risotto, but you will lose the crispness and bright green of lightly cooked asparagus. ( Plus, long cooked and short cooked asparagus have very different flavours)
    So it could be good to make your base with some asp. and also to finish it off with some lightly blanched or roasted asparagus.
    That way you get the benefit of both flavours and textures.
    Happy cooking...

8. paisan

paisan

Yep....you could use the stems to cook throughout the whole process, and add the tips at the end since they make for a nice presentation.

Ciao....paisan

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I've seen chefs finish risotto off with cream, to be decadent I use mascarpone....a few years ago I made shrimp creole arincini for a Cajun contest, turn out well. Pretty labor intensive though.

10. micstone

micstone

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Really?? Iv always known cream in risotto to be a big no!

11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Never say never in cooking.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Haha that's right.  It's a big no no if you're working in a restaurant and the head chef does not allow it.  At home I can do whatever the heck I want.  Granted, I've never put cream in my risotto but I hate being told I can't.

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've heard of several (famous) chefs who finish their risottos with cream.

Michel Del Burgo makes an amazing zucchini & prosciutto risotto recipe that's finished with whipped cream. Absolutely fantastic. Gives the risotto a fluffiness that's almost ethereal. 

14. micstone

micstone

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Interesting..
    I guess your right, if it works then why not. Thinking it would be more of a home thing rather then on your menu but.

15. stewkelly

stewkelly

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Just to echo what others have said about precooking the risotto and cooling it off. I hesitate to precook the asparagus however as the color and taste really change depending on how long before you will use it in the final cooking.

16. bengis

bengis

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have always precooked a neutral risotto (shallots, garlic, white wine, water) 1/2-2/3, then finished at service with additions (asparagus, mushrooms, peas, langoustine etc) also precooked and added just to warm through at the end together with any herb. Use a very loose, unthickened, soup (bisque whatever) of the primary ingredient as the liquid to complete cooking to intensify the flavour and retain freshness. I generally finish with parmesan, then slacken with either whipped cream or mascarpone and enrich with a few knobs of butter, and sometimes a squeeze of lemon juice. Starting with a neutral base gives great versatility.

17. bengis

bengis

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    b

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. bengis

bengis

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Heck, Risotto's from northern Italy!! Dairy rules!!