Pre-Peeled Garlic

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by johnnyroastbeef, Nov 1, 2016.

1. johnnyroastbeef

johnnyroastbeef

Exp:
    Cheese Maker
    My restaurant supply sells pre-peeled garlic cloves in large jars. I know that sliced or chopped garlic loses its potency and health benefits very quickly after cutting. How does this peeled stuff hold up? Of course, peeling garlic is pretty easy, but I would love to be able to just "grab and go" as needed.

Anyone with any experience with this?

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What kind of jars?  Is there liquid?

I buy peeled garlic.  I admit.  I keep it in the freezer and pull out as needed.  It makes my life so much easier.  I still keep fresh garlic around which I use for when a recipe calls for raw garlic such as tzatziki.  I'm all for the peeled garlic. 

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I guess that's a good compromise, keeping both on hands. One for when you're in a hurry, the other when you want the true raw garlic taste. 

I don't know, to me it's kinda of... a habit... last time I was in France, a friend invited me for a "boeuf carrottes", a classic stew of beef with, you guessed it, carrots. I was very excited, we went shopping together for the piece of meat, then went back to his place, he opened his freezer and pulled a bag of frozen peeled garlic cloves, a bag of frozen chopped carrots, a bag of frozen chopped onions, a jar of frozen parsley... and I was SO disappointed!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif  

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm not that bad lol.  But frozen veg are not so bad although I'm particularly not fond of frozen carrots, their texture gets weird.  But garlic seems fine to me, especially if it's about to enter a long cooking process.  

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Every now and again I spend a couple of bucks on a tub of peeled garlic cloves from the Asian market down the street. It is convenient, but I think fresh peeled is better.

mjb.

7. smyrf

smyrf

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm not even sure if we have the vast choice of all these prepared products like pre-peeled garlic around here (I wouldn't know, rarely venturing into the frozen foods aisle, except for an occasional bag of certain frozen whole vegetables), but in general, it's something I would personally avoid.

Having said that, I don't have any problem with (and do this to a large extent) buying an unprocessed product and processing and freezing myself: eg, peel large armount of garlic, throw into a jar and freeze, or with vegetables I can't use up in one sitting.

Apparently commercial freezing methods are supposed to be superior to freezing in a consumer freezer, however every time I've bought things like frozen fish, chicken breasts, or mixed sliced veges, the quality was barely satisfactory, while the stuff I froze myself has mostly maintaned its texture and hasn't strangely absorbed 10% moisture in the process.

The only thing I WOULDN'T do with garlic (which I have seen friends do, before I was aware of the risks) is peel it and store it at room temperature in oil, without salt or acid - botulism being the risk here.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. smyrf

smyrf

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oops the original post wasn't really about anything frozen was it .. I guess I was actually carrying on from the discussion of frozen foods a few posts above :)

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just to clarify, I buy fresh peeled garlic and store it in the freezer. I take out cloves as I need them and they defrost in a minute.