Pre-Cooking steaks for a house gathering?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef brah, Jan 27, 2017.

1. chef brah

chef brah

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Has anyone ever pre cooked steaks and later just reheat it in sauce?

i have small kitchen and need to advance cook some meats like an hour or two before guests/friends arrive.

it wont be possible to cook 5-6 steaks and most of them prefer their steak medium...so i m thinking of searing at high heat and cooking it medium rare..later just reheat it by immersing in poivre sauce on the pan.

will this work or will it overcook the steak?

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We used to do this in catering all the time, especially for large, off-site events where we couldn't grill them to order.  We would mark them off then finish them off at the event.  Personally, I wouldn't finish them in the sauce.  I would just finish them in the oven and sauce them after they have come up to temperature.  Shouldn't be a problem.

3. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Do s Pete says

4. chefdwilliams

chefdwilliams

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes. Its done all the time. I wouldn't reheat in the sauce. That similar to boiling (i know your not boiling it) and can make the meat tough. If you have an oven, finish it there then sauce it like normal... .

5. chef brah

chef brah

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thanks chefs!

makes lot of sense. you are right hot liquid will toughen up the meat. (what was i thinking!)

So I will cook them medium rare to medium....then reheat in oven at 250 F. later finish in sauce. 

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Exactly like Pete says.