Pozole

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Apr 30, 2003.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I picked up dry hominy (white corn soaked in lye) and wanted to make a pozole...the current recipe in Bon Appetite did not do it for me.
    Calvin Trillin waxed poetry over it in an article I read recently....alas no recipe, for either green or red.
    Do you have a GREAT one to share?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I have yet to find a good one either.

Phil

3. rjhunt

rjhunt

I picked up some dried white corn posole in Napa Valley back in January. In the last few months I've made a smokey shrimp and sausage posole and a chicken & pork posole. We've loved both of them. They've had the consistency of a stew vs. being soupy as that is our preference. If interested, I can sharing the two recipes. I'm not sure what type of recipes are of interest to you.

Becca

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Tripe and/or pork are the varieties I've encountered, usually traditional family recipes from immigrants. I think a gussied up version or some of your fusion styles would be more to my liking. The ones I had were bland, overcooked to my taste and somehow still tough.

Phi

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Heres one from that sounds nice.

POSOLE WITH SOUTHERN GREENS, CHAYOTE, DRIED CHERRIES, AND PECANS

Posole is a thick, hearty stew typically containing corn and pork that originated in Jalisco, Mexico. Since I wanted to make this recipe vegetarian anyway, I decided to take it in an entirely new direction. The dried cherries may seem a little odd at first, but they lend a pleasant sweet-tartness to the dish while the pecans take it a bit deeper into the South. In the United States, we call the dried posole "hominy."
    1/2 cup dry posole, soaked overnight
    6 cups vegetable stock, homemade or store-bought
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup diced onions
    2 garlic cloves, peeled, and minced
    1 pound greens (such as mustard greens, collards, and/or Swiss chard), washed and roughly chopped
    2 chayotes, cut in half, pitted, and julienned
    1/2 cup dried cherries
    1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Salt to taste

Drain the posole and place in a saucepan. Cover with the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, or until the posole is tender. Drain and reserve the posole and cooking liquid separately.

In a stockpot, heat the olive oil until lightly smoking. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute over high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the greens, chayotes, and 1 cup of the posole cooking liquid. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the greens are tender. Remove the lid and ad the dried cherries, pecans, vinegar, and reserved posole. Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the butter and season with salt. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Southwestern Vegetarian

Stephan Pyles

Clarkson N. Potter

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    looking for more New Mexican "authentic".....then fusions.....but as in Cajun food I wanna try a great version of country fare.
    Community cookbooks may possibly come up with a good version....definite hit or miss there. I'm not clear about NM chilis....nor the verbage that goes with it....is there a standard green chili and does it have another name (anaheim, poblano, etc.)?

7. daveb

daveb

Visiting a friend in Santa Fe a few years ago, I asked about where I could get dried posole to take home. She replied that she didn't know, since everyone she knew used Goya canned posole! This from the scion of a family that's lived in New Mexico since around 1910!

:eek:

8. flash

flash

this looks like what i remember having when i tried pozole. the restaurant I went to used fried toritilla chips and fresh salsa on top as garnish....oh and the meat was chicken. --flash

Pozole

Pozole is a staple of the Mexican table, and each region offers several variations. The stew’s name refers to whole-kernel hominy -- large kernels of dried corn that have been soaked in unslaked lime to remove their outer skins and puff them up. In this recipe, tougher cuts like pork shoulder or butt give abundant flavor and grow tender with slow, gentle cooking.

1 lb (500 g) boneless stewing pork, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups (32 fl oz/1 l) water
    2 dried ancho chili peppers, stemmed and seeded
    5 cloves garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    2 cups (12 oz/375 g) well-drained canned hominy
    3 cups (24 fl oz/750 ml) chicken or pork stock, or as needed
    Sliced radishes, shredded lettuce, diced yellow onion, corn tortilla chips, diced avocado and lime wedges for garnish

In a sauté pan, combine the pork cubes and salt with the water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer gently, uncovered, until barely tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pork cool in the liquid. Drain, reserving the liquid in a bowl. Set the meat aside, covering it with a damp towel.

Place the ancho chilies in the reserved warm cooking liquid and let soak for 20 minutes. Transfer the liquid and chilies to a blender. Add the garlic and oregano and purée until smooth. Set aside.
    In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil. Add the onion and sauté until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Add the puréed chili mixture, hominy and chicken or pork stock, adding more stock if needed for a more soupy consistency. Stir in the reserved pork. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently, uncovered, until the pork is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Ladle the stew into warmed shallow bowls. Arrange the garnishes in small bowls and let guests add to the stew to taste.

Serves 4-6

--Possibly from a Rick Bayless Pozole (Pork and Hominy Stew) recipe but from this website:http://myweb.cableone.net/howle/page/mexidx.htm

Another good search source http://www.recipesource.com/ These guys have 10 posole and 5 pozole.