Poured fondant problem

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by mr.farenheight, May 10, 2006.

1. mr.farenheight

mr.farenheight

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello everyone,
    I have been making a few batches petit fours coated in white, dark, and milk, chocolate and some in marzipan and they all come out great . I just recently tried to coat a batch of swiss chocolate layer cake petit fours with a poured fondant mixed with a fresh rasberry puree.
    Everything came out great the fondant was see-through and not too thick but it never dried to the consistancy that you could pick it up with out getting your fingers sticky. I feel it ruins the whole confection, and I would love some tips if you have any.

2. erik

erik

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I've never tried adding a puree to poured fondant myself, but my best guess would be you used too much of it.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yes, it was the puree. Maybe try an extract next time, or even a small amt. of emulsion.

4. mr.farenheight

mr.farenheight

Exp:
    At home cook
    I decided to try to add a miniscule amount of xanath gum and it firmed up really well, no sticky fingers. I found that you can combine a puree with a white chocolate coating to get a firm textured outside .

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    MrF
    can I ask what type of puree and the sugar percentage of the puree you're using to add the the WH? I have not had anyluck doing that. I've had to use compounds.