Poultry - To rinse or Not to Rinse?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cerise, May 24, 2015.

1. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Poultry.  Do you rinse?  Use it out of package?  Had to laugh when I watched this

What  prep methods, if any, do you use when using fresh poultry?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Funny!

I usually rinse, most often I buy whole chickens and look for missed quills and such.

mjb.

3. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The latest food safety recommendation from the USDA in the States is to NOT rinse poultry or meat, in order to prevent spreading any surface bacteria around the kitchen via water droplets. 

That surface bacteria will be killed by the high temperatures of the cooking process. I think it was Jacques Pepin who once said that any bacteria that had survived a 450 degree oven for the hour it takes to roast a chicken deserved to kill him.

It's hard to break the rinsing habit, though. and I usually scoop out the bloody bits inside and rinse that out, anyway. Got used to chickens from the Chinese market which are spotlessly clean inside. 

flipflopgirl likes this.
  4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I rinse the cavity of poultry to clean out the misc residue, but not the outside. Never rinse beef unless I accidentally dropped on floor.

5. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Nope. I used to, but read an article that convinced me it is a waste of time and splatters nasties around my sink - as has been stated above. Besides, if you cook the bird to the right temp, no need to wash. Pat dry only. 

I seldomly buy packaged chicken though. Usually at a butcher shop where I know where the bird came from and who processed it. Never Perdue or Tyson. At the restaurant I staged at they did not rinse or clean the birds. They came clean already. 

If I see dirt or such, I'll clean it after removing everything from around the sink and wipe down. Same with any protein.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't rinse, just pat it dry with paper towels.

7. canele

canele

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I still rinse. Ive always been very careful about splash....and then sanitizing everything after.

funny story.....  well not so funny for the prep cook. He took a case of chicken into the dish room, grabbed a colander and slid the whole case in. It was not in the sink but on the drain boards.....  he took the sprayer blasted the chicken... it sent water everywhere!!!!

*eye twitch*

he was not happy when i made him sanitize the whole room. Everything.....  Every dish, pot, plate, glass had to be taken off the rack. The racks had to be sanitized and scrubbed....along with the walls,ceiling and dishwasher then everything had to go though the dishwasher again with a double boost of sani.....  he was at it all day. Needless to say... he was pretty pissed off at the pastry chef.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I do rinse and then I sanitize everything.  Even if I didn't rinse the chicken I would still sanitize the sink, faucet handles, soap dispenser, and all the knobs and handles in the kitchen.  

I rinse not because of the bacteria but because of the dirt particles, bits of plastic etc. Sometimes there are little feathers or bits of bone from where the chicken was processed.  

I rinse beef too and all other proteins.

9. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I even spray   the chicken itself with a bit of hypochloride solution then  rinse it off.

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Me too.

Surprising how much yuck is left on a bone in chuck roast.

mimi

11. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I'll bet you never put soap on it. LOL (I edited & embedded the video.  Too funny.)

12. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I put it in the sink to rinse off any blood, and pat dry.

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    No but the DIL came to the marriage with very few kitchen skills.

Peeled the potatoes, cut them in chunks and proceeded to give them a good washing with hot water and Dawn lol.

The son kept his mouth shut....smart boy.

mimi

jake t buds likes this.
  14. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think the Dept. of Ag. recommened not washing the birds or proteins due to the mere fact that most foodborne illnesses occur in the home. Mostly hand to hand. Plus I don't think the FDA wanted to address it because the % is so high. I personally still wash and sanitize area and tools. Especially if the birds are packaged at the retail outlet from bulk buy.

@ED BUCHANAN,

Chef, hypochlorite? I would think the residual chlorine could be worse the the bacteria. Unless you were kidding. You could use sodium hydrochlorite and then throw the birds in the pool to clear the water/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  

flipflopgirl likes this.
  15. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    On occasion, I have purchased a rotisserie chicken from the market, and had to remove the skin & dump it.  The skin & bird always tastes soapy.

16. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    My error I use  bleach 05 pp then I rinse it. What the heck we swim in the stuff anyway.

17. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yea, I heard Luca Brasi sleeps with the chickens.

spoiledbroth likes this.
  18. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm going to put my life on the line and roast a bird tonight without washing it. Never have washed a bird, bleach clean up of the counter, board and sink afterwards yes.

19. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Did someone make him an offer he couldn't refuse? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Funny, I thought it was Lou Cabrasi