Pots and Pans What's the best?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Aug 6, 1999.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I would be curious to here what types of pots and pans chefs use in the home. Some of the stuff that is on the market is so expensive and I was wondering do you really need to mortgage your home to get a good set of cookware?

Thanks.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Im with you Bri,love my cast iron and All Clad. Just bought my All Clad set about 1 year ago, and it has been worth it. So much better than Mom's hand-me-down aluminum stuff and I think worth the price. Forget Calphalon. And I love my cast iron skillet!! It was my grandmother's for years and probably hadnt been washed in 40 until one of my ex roommates washed it. Who needs teflon when you have a cast iron skillet that has been seasoning for years?! Wish I could afford more copper, though I have one piece right now. And would like to invest in a few Le Crueset pieces also.

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited August 07, 1999).]

3. ruthy

ruthy

Ditto All Clad and cast iron (compared with which non-stick is junk). My cast iron was not inherited. I have it for about fifteen years and it's perfectly seasoned. Stainless steel-lined copper is wonderful too but please don't get sentimental about the old tin-lined stuff. Don't buy the cheap stuff. You will have to replace it so many times that you will pay more in the long run.

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all of the great info! I definately have a better idea of what to look for when I buy my stuff.

Thanks,

Nicko

5. adenoma

adenoma

About ScanPan: No, it's not by All Clad. It's made in Sweden, I believe, and received a rave rating in Consumer Report several years ago, which is how I discovered it. As far as I know, in this country it's available only through the Chef's Catalogue (www.chefscatalogue.com). Nonstick by virtue of its metal rather than a nonstick coating that can be damaged by metal utensils, and yes, you CAN and SHOULD wash it when it's still hot (with each pan comes a special metal scrubber). It's ridiculously easy to take care of. Comes in all sorts of sizes, of which I have several; I plan to get a Scan Pan wok next. This is expensive stuff, but not more expensive than Calphalon and MUCH better to cook with. I think that between Scan Pan and my ancient, well-seasoned cast iron, I'll never need any other type of cookware!

6. chefron

chefron

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sharon and Nancy,

I envy you guys. I also hate Calphalon-- I own(ed) quite a few pieces and never could prevent food from sticking to them, and never could get them clean!