Potato Salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by flipflopgirl, Jun 23, 2014.

1. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I have given up trying to reproduce my mom's potato salad.

Have been thru every cookbook she had looking for comments in the margin (as well as loose papers stuck in them).

Last week had a very good one made with red potatoes with sour cream and dill (plus mayo?) that I want to reproduce.

Got a zillion hits online but would rather have a tried and true recipe.

Can anyone lend a girl a hand?

mimi

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Unfortunately I don't have a tried and true recipe. Why not just whip up what you like?  I would suggest making small amounts of the dressing separately first so you can taste and adjust the seasonings. You can experiment with a variety of dressings before ever making any salad. Keep a note pad handy to write down what works. You seem to have an idea of what you are looking for so a little trial and error should get you there pretty quickly. 

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like it with a so called "boiled dressing". There's a range of them out there. I gave my recipe in this thread.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Thanks phatch .

Will smack my own hand for not using the search option.

Lots of great recipes and tips in that one and plenty of info for me to think about until the July 4 weekend.

mimi

Will start tinkering this week.....

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @flipflopgirl. Did your Mom make her own mayonnaise by chance?
    I'm with you Mimi, I have yet to get a potato salad the way that we like it, only macaroni salad

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    No way would she make something by hand if it came in a convenient jar!
    She became a modern housewife post WW2 along with the other I Love Lucies lol!
    And when Good Houskeeping or Hints from Heloise had a new boxed or canned product to crow about, mom was right there in line to be the first in the neighborhood to use it in the before dinner nibbles.
    Washed down with a Martini or Gimlet of course!

mimi

Just being silly (sort of) Mom was a great cook.
    A bit modern in her mother's eyes .... which is why I reference Gma Van when posting about who taught me to bake.
    She made sure I was aware that not all cakes came from a box.

m.

7. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Our favorite potato salad is a heavily-garlicked version served at Emilio's, a local tapas restaurant:

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/eatingout/eating_e/emiliospata.htm

Let it ferment in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before mixing with potatoes, and then let them chill to help the flavors permeate the potatoes.As usual with me, if you decided to increase the garlic- that would be fine.

Mike

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Something we do in Hawaii with our potato-mac salad is add a can of tuna 

... man, I've got the meanest ONO's (hungry for ) for potato salad now!

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    No apologies needed Lady K !

Macaroni is a close second in my book  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

I worked at Kmart for a short time during High School .

Not for long... and I credit them for being so sucky to work for that shoved me into F&B (the rest of course is history lol).

Anyways my bestie worked in the deli there making the mac salad.

She hooked me up with a soda cup full for my lunch breaks.

Don't think Kmart makes it anymore but it was ono while it lasted  ;-).

So thanks for the recipe Sistah.

mimi

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    OMG I have a tried and true recipe. In fact I'm bored to death of making this potato salad but people freak out if I don't make it. I get asked to bring it all the time, it's just so tasty and refreshing. I adapted the recipe from Michael Chiarellos Easy Entertaining. I used red potatoes boiled and quartered, skin on. The dressing is made from 2cups mayo, one cup Dijon. I add a splash of red wine vinegar to thin it up a bit. I add a handful of chopped parsley and 2 handfuls chopped basil and a bunch of chopped scallion. Salt and pepper to taste. Dress the potatoes the night before and then taste again before serving to adjust the seasoning because the potatoes absorb and may need more salt.

Also, my computer is broken now and I don't have access to my files but someone on this site gave me an awesome recipe for potato salad and I can't remember exactly who was it @MaryB??? It's no mayo, just basil I believe, with tahini, maple syrup, and oh gosh I can't remember but it was a big hit at a recent party. I need a new computer.

12. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Thanks for chiming  in koukou...  maybe whoever gave it to you will post the link.

If you should buy a new PC do not under any circumstances let them install Windows 8 or even 8.1 (even tho they supposedly "fixed" the problems with the 8.1)  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif.

Try playing with it tho.... someone thought it would be a good idea having a tile format (like apps on the smartie phones and pads) as well as a window format.

mimi

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As long as the hard drive on your broken computer isn't damaged, there is software available that can recover what's on it.  So all is not lost.

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've used Windows 7 for almost two years without a hitch.  And it can be tuned for your style of usage.  I've tuned mine to resemble XP and for the fastest performance.

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What's happening actually is that te computer turns on but not the screen. This can be fixed I hope.

16. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I know this sound dumb but is the screen on and if it is have you tried the thingee that brightens the screen?

Sometimes the most simple thing can wreck my day.

mimi

17. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I once made a Potato Salad with balsamic vinegar, ev olive oil and a variety of herbs. It was from the Herb Farm Cookbook. Very different and good. Not my favorite, but a fun switch. 

18. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    The fisherman fixed me up but left the 8.1 on there in case a light from on high boomed down with an easy to follow manual.

Not holding my breath tho.

mimi

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You see absolutely nothing appearing on the screen?  If so, then either your display is off for some reason (internal to the display) or your computer isn't communicating with your display (internal to the computer).  How old is the display??

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ?????????