Potato salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Apr 11, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello friends,

I'm going to make a potato salad for my Greek Easter party.  Normally I make roasted potatoes but I'm trying to ease my cooking load on the day of.  Unfortunately people love those darn roasted potatoes so if i make a potato salad it has to live up to expectations.  I have a couple of go-to recipes but I'm bored with them and looking for suggestions.

The rule is, it has to be made the day before and doesn't need to be heated.  I'm all ears!

Oh and if you're interested, my go-to recipe is red skinned potatoes, scallion, parlsey, basil, mayo, dijon, salt/pepper, sherry vinegar.  I go very heavy on herbs so it's really pretty and very fresh and flavorful but still, looking for something different this time.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Southern Boiled Dressing. 

The name is a misnomer as it shouldn't boil. Probably refers to the double boiler method of making it but I tend to do it directly in a pan on low heat. 

Here are a couple of variations to give you a feel for what's out there: 

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/08/old-fashioned-southern-boiled-dressing.html#axzz2yafWIloZ 

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-southern-classic-chicken-salad-with-boiled-dressing-recipe

And mine:

1/2    C    cream, although evaporated milk or whole milk will do.

1/4    C    chicken stock or canned chicken broth

1/4    C    cider vinegar

2         egg yolks

1    tablespoon    flour

2    tablespoon    sugar

1    tablespoon    dry mustard

salt and white pepper to taste

hot pepper sauce

Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a double boiler and mix with electric mixer or wire whip. Place double boiler on heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. This part isn’t quick, but it’s not too long. You can also do it in sauce pan over low heat, but you increase the chance of some curdling. 

The higher the fat of your dairy, the more vinegar you use. Conversely, if you use a low fat or skim milk, reduce the vinegar somewhat. 

It will thicken up like mayo as it chills, but was common before commercial mayo hit the market. It packs more flavor than mayo, particularly the vinegar impact and the mustard comes along for free. I love it with cider vinegar. But it balances nicely. Makes a good potato salad, an excellent chicken salad, and fun in cole slaw too.  I've seen it used with mayo as well and that can be a fun blend. I lean towards higher concentrations of boiled dressing than mayo if I mix them. 

It's a fun dressing to have in your arsenal and a quick change up to your traditional potato salad. 

3. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    A combo of green beans & red potatoes.  Roast or boil red potatoes, mix with steamed green beans, toss w/ evoo/lemon juice/s&p.  To give it a Greek spin, top w/ crumbled feta, & garnish with fresh mint.

4. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Miss KK, what are you serving this salad with?  I mean, what is the menu for this shindig?

lagom likes this.
  5. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about new potatos, boiled or steamed perfect, dried a bit in a warm oven. While hot toss with olive oil, white balsamic viniger, salt and course ground black pepper. Cool and mix with a dab of greek yogurt and a generous amount if fresh chopoed tarragon. Garnish with marinated sundried tomatos, jullianed, and some calamata olives.

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's greek Easter kgirl! Don't you know already? Lamb on a spit of course! And pastitsio and spinach pie and Greek sausages and Cypriot sausages and Greek salad!

kokopuffs likes this.
  7. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Did this one last saturday. Ahh lamb .

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That lamb on the spit looks incredible /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif  

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Lagom , that is one I would like to make when my sister comes in from Cyprus.

@ Kk: sounds like great food so far.

10. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Koukou'...

How about a potato salad with a heavily garliced dressing? A potato salad with garlic mayo has become a favorite of ours at a local tapas joint.    After all, the Greeks are not unfamiliar with garlic - right?  The sun-dried tomatoes would go well with that, too.

On a slightly-related point, I have come to believe that the importance of garlic in the cuisine diminishes as you move north from the Mediterranean. In my limited experience, garlic is big in Portugal, Spain, Morocco, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel and less so in, like, Switzerland, Germany, Benelux, and Scandinavia. Not sure the Swedes have even heard of it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Is this notion completely silly, or just so obvious as to be pointless, ...or a little bit accurate?  If the last, I think that would be an interesting discussion topic with its own thread and input from people with far more expereience than me.

Anybody up for that?

Mike

11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    X

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @MikeLM  I never thought about that before, but what a great topic for discussion.

In Hawaii, all of the other cultures use boat loads of garlic in everything, but not the Pacific Islanders.

I would think that it would be mainly what other country conquered that area and brought their ways with them.  

But I can't think of any true Hawaiian dishes that call for garlic.

Only with the fusion of cultures in Hawaii have brought about what folks think of as Hawaiian food today. 

I dig all of the different cuisines from Hawaii, Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Okinawan, Portuguese, Spanish, Porto Rican, oh my gosh, I'm sure I'll miss one of them... they all came to work, either for Sugar or Pineapple in some form.  

But so sorry @Koukouvagia  I disgress, we should simply start a new thread  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Bacon?  Salt pork?

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmm well look, Greeks are actually comin off a 50 day fast, during that time they ate a lot of octopus and skordalia since they are Lenten. If I served those on Greek Easter I'd be booed and excommunicated lol. Tzatziki on Easter is a must and the lamb will be stuffed with garlic and lemons so the potato salad probably shouldn't be garlicky.

15. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    X

16. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
  17. skyler

skyler

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We've attended many Greek Easters with the lamb on a spit...so good!  I have potato salads I like, but was wondering what you might think about a Greek-style panzanella...just something I like to serve with grilled lamb.  Definitely yes to the tzatziki, skordalia, spanikopita, dolmas, etc.   

Anyway, this is one suggestion for potato salad.

~New Potato and Green Bean Salad

Dressing:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 T. Dijon mustard
    2 T. fresh lemon juice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste

Salad:
    1 1/2 pounds small red-skinnned potatoes
    3/4 pound haricots verts (or thin green beans, stems trimmed
    1 small red onion, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    Salt and pepper to taste

For Dressing:
    Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 1-2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temp and rewhisk before using.)

For Salad:
    Steam potatoes until tender. Cool; cut into quarters. Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Transfer beans to bowl of ice water and cool. Drain. Cut beans in half. Combine beans, potatoes, onion and basil in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead; cover and let stand at room temp.) Garnish bowl with a small bunch of fresh basil before serving.

And one more...just the mayo-based American version...but good!

~Potato Salad

Best when made the day before serving. 

3 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 small red onion, chopped
    About 2/3 cup chopped celery
    About 1 1/3 cups mayo
    3-4 T. ball park or Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup sweet pickle relish, or to taste (optional)
    1 T. chopped fresh dill, or to taste (optional)
    6-8 hard-boiled eggs

Boil potatoes in cold, salted water then drain (no need to peel). Cut into bite-size pieces. While still hot, sprinkle potatoes with vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.

Mix mayo and mustard together in small bowl. Add to potatoes, along with onion, celery, pickle relish and dill (if using). Mix well. Add eggs and stir gently to combine. Taste for seasoning; I'm always amazed at how much salt potato salad needs. The flavors will develop more as the mixture sits, and you'll be checking the seasoning again before serving. Let it cool to room temp, then cover and chill at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.

Before serving, mix again and taste. Correct seasoning, if necessary. 

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ... ya know Miss KK, I don't have any Greek friends and don't know too much about the Greek culture, I'm learin'  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif  

19. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Roasted sweet potato salad

20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    yum! I love sweet potatoes!  @durangojo  any dressing?  what with?