Potato risotto?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by someday, Jun 16, 2005.

1. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Did a stage at a nice restaurant a while ago...they have something on the menu called potato risotto. They tole me that they prepare it the same way as a tradiotional rice risotto...but I'm wondering how to do it that way without completely disentagrating the small diced potatos.

I've tried a search on the net, but without much luck. Anyone ever heard of this before?

I haven't tried it yet, but here's what I'm gonna do.

Dice the potatos fine...brobably a a little larger than a brunoise, but not too much bigger. Gonna cook it basically like a classic risotto, 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, saute onions and aromatics first, etc.

BTW, how does this sound: potato risotto, made with a light homeade chicken stock, finished with a little butter and a bit of sour cream, not heavy cream, cut up bacon added to the risotto, two poached eggs w/ hollandaise, and a chive oil drizzle around the potato risotto. Breakfast of champs! Who wouldn't want to eat that?

ANyways, rambled a bit. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc?

~Someday

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Living in Italy I eat a ton of risotto, since I can't find a Chinese rice cooker and have trouble finding Jasmine rice, although basmati is easily purchased. I like the sound of the risotto you proposed. I would opt of bacon or pancetta crisped and sprinkled on top instead of in the dish just for a nice crunch and fresh chive snippets as well as the chive oil, since the chive oil could get mistaken for good, dark green extra virgin.

I have eaten a few very nice ones here: the classic truffle risotto, the classic Milanese, a risotto made with duck stock, with bits of duck and diced zucchinni flowers, a risotto with farona=guinea fowl stocks and wild mushrooms. All these were fantastic. Good luck with your experiments.

3. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    what kind of potatoes would you use? Yukon?

4. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As a great produce man once told me, he was Irish by the way, and said he knew a ton about potatoes, Yukons are "buttered by Mother Nature" and this is pretty much true. I love the buttery taste and texture but for this risotto I'm wondering if the waxier new pototoes would taste a bit milder and not take any attention away from the rice, what do you think?

5. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yea, I agree about the buttered part. My boyfriend makes these kickass Mexican potatoes. He made them last night.

He just cubes up some Yukons and throws them in a cast iron pan with water, way too many sliced serranos (For some people), onions and red peppers. Salt and pepper too.
    He just boils it until it gets creamy, but still has potato chunks in it.

I slab mine into a tortilla with lots and lots of hot sauce and a beer. Delicious!