Potato recipe...?!

Joined Feb 9, 2017
Okay, so I'm having a senior moment... I'm chasing the name of a potato dish that involves thinly sliced potatoes baked in (I seem to recall) stock and topped with a half round of a soft-ish cheese. The specific cheese is similar to a camembert or brie but stronger in taste, evidently. I believe it's French but I could well be wrong on that on that point.

I've made it a couple of times before and it's absolutely divine - I just can't find the recipe or remember its name!!

Joined Feb 24, 2015
Any chance the dish you are referring to is a "Tartiflette"?
That one is made with Reblochon cheese (could be described as similar to Brie)

Hope that helps

Joined Feb 9, 2017
Any chance the dish you are referring to is a "Tartiflette"?
That one is made with Reblochon cheese (could be described as similar to Brie)

Hope that helps

Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you! We can't get Reblochon here in NZ so I substituted with Parmesan (for flavour) and camembert for texture. Guess what I'm cooking tonight?!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Huh... tartiflette is a bit more involved though:

1) Cook potatoes in water, dice and place in gratin dish.
2) Sauté bacon cubes, deglaze with sliced onions, white wine, dash of cream, pour over potatoes.
3) Remove the crust from a Reblochon cheese (easier done if you place the cheese in the fridge first for a few hours), slice cheese in two so you get two large, thin discs, place cheese over gratin, bake until GBD.

1184-normal2.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008

2) Sauté bacon cubes, deglaze with sliced onions, white wine, dash of cream, pour over potatoes.
3) Remove the crust from a Reblochon cheese (easier done if you place the cheese in the fridge first for a few hours), slice cheese in two so you get two large, thin discs, place cheese over gratin, bake until GBD.

1184-normal2.jpg

This recipe makes me feel things I can’t describe in polite society. So what is robluchon cheese?

Joined Oct 9, 2008
You can't get Reblochon in the US because of stupid import rules. There's a pasteurized Jura tomme that's supposed to be a very good substitute.

Joined Nov 15, 2012

Minor detail question, do you place the soft center up or down? Down I would think.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Not sure why - we always had to batonnet them...

A little piece of heaven :cool:
Reblochon is a semi soft, smear ripened cheese (has it's own AOP designation) - in terms of taste, a bit nutty, floral aromas - not too intense (until you bake it) and very creamy

Drooling!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
That really is a pity
Don't worry, we didn't wait for the U.S. and their stupid import rules to filter out the good cheeses, we've got our own stupid European safety laws that are currently eradicating centuries of cheese making here in France.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Don't worry, we didn't wait for the U.S. and their stupid import rules to filter out the good cheeses, we've got our own stupid European safety laws that are currently eradicating centuries of cheese making here in France.

Pity.
That is what happens when you try to jam too many cultures together in the name of trade.

mimi

Top Bottom