Potato garnish

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cooking_sherry, Aug 17, 2002.

1. cooking_sherry

cooking_sherry

I'm trying to make a potato ring for a garnish. I want it to be between 2-3 in. in diameter, about 1/2" in width, and a golden crisp brown color when finish.

I've tried peeling a 70 cnt potato into thin sliced ribs, blanched them in 300 degree oil, then wrapped the ribbons around a 3" molding ring and tried to frying them in 350 degree oil for my finished look.

I ran into two problems with this approach: 1) the potato cooked to the molding ring and had to be scrapped off. 2) the potato unraveled from the ring and did a free float.

This cannot be as difficult as I'm making it. So, any help in solving my problem would be much appreciated.

Anxiously awaiting your ideas, thoughts.

Cooking_Sherry

2. foodaholic

foodaholic

Hi Cooking_Sherry,

You might try this method:

Cut you potato into the desired shape,run it through a mandoline
    (for uniformity) and place on a baking tray lined with parchment.
    Paint you parchment with EVOO and lay the potato slices down
    and paint the top as well. Bake in a 350 oven until the edges start to brown,remove from oven and manipulate to the desired shape and secure with a toothpick. Put the tray back in the oven to finish.

You will have to play with this a bit because too well browned and they will be hard to shape,and not browned enough they might collapes,but it works for me.Good luck.

3. cooking_sherry

cooking_sherry

I will definately try the oven approach. Thanks for your reply.

Cooking_Sherry