Post covid thoughts and predictions for hospitality industry?

Joined Jan 27, 2002
I agree with a lot of your thoughts.Japanese Olympics will be telling.
We are going to have to learn to live with Covid.I live in New Zealand,we are lucky,our hospo industry picked up fairly quickly.
U.S.A. and U.K.(where I was born) have and are still having a hard time.
Worldwide I feel the industry is in dire straights.
Who wants to buy a restaurant/food business now? Yet we are short of chefs here.Like some of you said the wages are crap,who can survive,when there is a lockdown,who can afford the loss of wages until the restaurant re-opens or then decides to close up shop.
A lot more meals being delivered,but that's an added cost and more labour,when margins are tight.As another chef said "People need to see and be seen" as we are social beings and love atmosphere.Then again people are afraid of the new mutations in covid,now delta strain another worry.NZ has been clear for awhile,then Australian travelled to Wellington and has the new delta strain.Wellington is now in lockdown,but the virus is contained.The rest of the country open as usual
Come to N.Z.we need Chefs and front of house.Good luck everyone,but hey! chefs are tough look at how hard we have all worked. In N.Z. we say Kia kaha (stay strong)

Joined Sep 17, 2018
What I learned with my catering and my chocolate business was this:
If Johnny across the street is selling apples, I'm gonna sell oranges.
Make something unique so that others can't beat or match you on the price. You'll never last a year if you're constantly looking over your shoulder and crapping your pants because the other guy down the street is 95 cents cheaper than you.

British Columbia just raised minimum wage to 15..00/ hr. It took me over 30 years to learn that inflation is just part of life. If there was no inflation there would be stagnation, which is much, much worse.
I agree but it doesn't matter how good your product or service is if you hit a breaking point of consumers not willing to pay the added costs to keep those good employees and you as an owner cannot afford to eat the costs of profits for the same reasons.

Inflation is natural and not necessarily always a bad thing, but when inflation is greatly outpacing other areas like wages it is more of an issue. Sure that line cook makes 2 bucks more an hour now but the gas to put in his car went up 30%, food 50% and his housing or health insurance even higher. There's always going to be winners and losers but it feels like our industry is forecasting the losing end of things.

Joined May 25, 2015
Then again people are afraid of the new mutations in covid,now delta strain another worry.NZ has been clear for awhile,then Australian travelled to Wellington and has the new delta strain.Wellington is now in lockdown,but the virus is contained.

Lockdowns?? No. The politicians are afraid of losing their power so they are using the delta and other variants as an excuse. What do you have, one test positive? I've been noticing what goes on there and it's disgusting.

In the US we are told that the vaccines will take care of the variants and they are using delta to scare those holdouts to get vaccinated. They (mainly the teachers union) want to get all kids vaccinated before the start of the school year which is controversial given their age and possible side effects when weighed against them actually needing it in the first place.

One thing has become abundantly clear and that is this whole thing is purely political. Some of the things going on in the world today go way beyond being pandemic related. To be honest, I'm scared. I'm scared as an American that our people would roll over and allow themselves to be so easily controlled.

-Hal

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Lockdowns?? No. The politicians are afraid of losing their power so they are using the delta and other variants as an excuse. What do you have, one test positive? I've been noticing what goes on there and it's disgusting.

In the US we are told that the vaccines will take care of the variants and they are using delta to scare those holdouts to get vaccinated. They (mainly the teachers union) want to get all kids vaccinated before the start of the school year which is controversial given their age and possible side effects when weighed against them actually needing it in the first place.

One thing has become abundantly clear and that is this whole thing is purely political. Some of the things going on in the world today go way beyond being pandemic related. To be honest, I'm scared. I'm scared as an American that our people would roll over and allow themselves to be so easily controlled.

-Hal

I agree about being skeptical of the Delta variant. We've been hearing nothing but variants since the widespread vaccination process began. I know I am a layman in this but I don't understand how a variant can pop up that is more deadly each time but also just happens to be covered by the original Covid-19 shot? I thought the whole selling point behind these variants was that they were new deadly mutated strains? And they just happen to be popping up in low vaccinated areas? Really? I mean even strong proponents of everything that has been done or forced to be done by now should admit that doesn't pass the smell test.

Joined May 25, 2015
I thought the whole selling point behind these variants was that they were new deadly mutated strains? And they just happen to be popping up in low vaccinated areas? Really? I mean even strong proponents of everything that has been done or forced to be done by now should admit that doesn't pass the smell test.

This is why people are starting to come to the realization that the CDC and WHO have no credibility. They are controlled by the government along with most main stream media.

I don't think I mentioned this here, but I'm old enough to remember the polio epidemic back in the 50's. I was in third grade, I remember all of us lining up in the hallway and filing one-by-one into the nurses office where the school doctor administered the Salk vaccine. The entire program was privately administered by the drug companies and the March of Dimes. The government was not involved. The result was that polio was for all intents eliminated by 1960. There was no CDC, WHO, masks, lockdowns and main stream media terrorizing the population or the s*** show we are experiencing today.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 10, 2005
Ummm... so are you pro vaccine or anti vaccine? Big difference between Polio and Covid, Polio, I believe is/was a water borne disease.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Ummm... so are you pro vaccine or anti vaccine? Big difference between Polio and Covid, Polio, I believe is/was a water borne disease.

I think an important distinction needs to be made in regards to this. I feel like people who whole heartedly support covid vaccines, even forced ones are lumping any hesitant covid vaccines recipients in with "anti vaxxers" to ruin any credibility. I know plenty of people who support multiple vaccines like MMR, Polio, Chicken Pox, HPV, ect. but just have some doubts or concerns about the covid vaccine. And I believe it is a legitimate point of view and their right to do so. Most people I have talked to who don't want the covid vaccine aren't talking about micro chips from Bill Gates or any of that stuff but rather just that they kind of have a wait and see attitude because they do not feel satisfied that there is enough data to sway their decision. Any yes I realize there is some data out there but when compared to the levels usually present for a vaccine, no there is not enough no matter what light you try to present it in.

Joined May 25, 2015

Been vaccinated for many months now, both myself and my wife. Polio is a fecal transmitted virus that is highly contagious from touching surfaces or contaminated water and food. It mainly affected small children and kids probably because hygiene is not in their vocabulary at those ages. It's much more contagious than covid. The Salk polio vaccine was only in trial for about six months before they went public with it.
I think an important distinction needs to be made in regards to this. I feel like people who whole heartedly support covid vaccines, even forced ones are lumping any hesitant covid vaccines recipients in with "anti vaxxers" to ruin any credibility. I know plenty of people who support multiple vaccines like MMR, Polio, Chicken Pox, HPV, ect. but just have some doubts or concerns about the covid vaccine. And I believe it is a legitimate point of view and their right to do so. Most people I have talked to who don't want the covid vaccine aren't talking about micro chips from Bill Gates or any of that stuff but rather just that they kind of have a wait and see attitude because they do not feel satisfied that there is enough data to sway their decision. Any yes I realize there is some data out there but when compared to the levels usually present for a vaccine, no there is not enough no matter what light you try to present it in.
As I said above, the polio vaccine was only tested for six months before the rollout.

I agree with anyone's personal decision not to be vaccinated. It's their life. The thing is it's been so tainted by politics and social media that I can certainly understand not knowing what to do. I firmly believe that if the vaccination program was handled by the medical community and your own doctor recommended and provided it, things would be much different.

And I should add that at this point it probably won't make one hell of a difference if the remainder of people get vaccinated or not. Like I said, the big push is on for kids which I don't believe is a prudent thing for those under 12.

What I believe is happening here is that the United Federation of Teachers (a powerful teachers union) went to the CDC and told them to recommend vaccinations for kids (else they will strike) because many teachers themselves refuse to get vaccinated. So we should put our kids at risk for them.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 17, 2018
As I said above, the polio vaccine was only tested for six months before the rollout.
I'm not sure where you got that number, when I looked it up it stated that the polio vaccine wasn't deemed safe to use en mass to the public until three years after the initial test.

What I believe is happening here is that the United Federation of Teachers (a powerful teachers union) went to the CDC and told them to recommend vaccinations for kids (else they will strike) because many teachers themselves refuse to get vaccinated. So we should put our kids at risk for them.
That may be but my wife is a teacher and we know a hand full that think the opposite of this and would never want to vaccinate our kids or others at this point. The cost benefit relation for them is not persuading enough.

Joined May 25, 2015
Handful is right. Just the fact that the CDC agreed to make policy based on politics and not science is damning. This is also why they made kids wear covid masks in schools all day. Teachers are afraid and didn't want to go back to work. They had no regard for the kids. That's child abuse.

So to get back to the original question, who in their right mind is going to invest money in a business that can get shut down at any time by some nut job politician listening to other nut job politicians?

The only time this will end and we can all get back to work is when we take that power away from them. Our health decisions need to be made by us and only us.

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
I'm not sure where you got that number, when I looked it up it stated that the polio vaccine wasn't deemed safe to use en mass to the public until three years after the initial test

"In 1954, clinical trials using the Salk vaccine and a placebo began on nearly two million American schoolchildren. In April 1955, it was announced that the vaccine was effective and safe, and a nationwide inoculation campaign began."

Joined Dec 8, 1999
If the discussion of vaccines is going to devolve into accusing teachers of child abuse, you're going to have to stop discussing vaccines. Stick to the thread topic, please.

Joined May 25, 2015
If the discussion of vaccines is going to devolve into accusing teachers of child abuse, you're going to have to stop discussing vaccines. Stick to the thread topic, please.

I agree that this isn't the place for that discussion. Suffice it to say that I only mentioned teachers to illustrate how this has degraded us as human beings.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
It's interesting that the panic over polio verged on frenzy despite killing only a small fraction of the number killed by Covid-19. It was one of the most feared diseases of the 20th century.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Polio left a lot of children disabled for life. The point I wanted to make is that polio was/is a water borne disease
I agree but it doesn't matter how good your product or service is if you hit a breaking point of consumers not willing to pay the added costs to keep those good employees and you as an owner cannot afford to eat the costs of profits for the same reasons.

Inflation is natural and not necessarily always a bad thing, but when inflation is greatly outpacing other areas like wages it is more of an issue. Sure that line cook makes 2 bucks more an hour now but the gas to put in his car went up 30%, food 50% and his housing or health insurance even higher. There's always going to be winners and losers but it feels like our industry is forecasting the losing end of things.
Our industry has always had its share of those who are at the losing end of things.
Fifteen years ago I opened up my chocolate biz in a brand new building. Unit next to me was all set to open up as a bubble tea place—didn’t make inspection because he didn’t have grease trap. Two months later he opens 4 months later he closes—couldn’t make even rent with just bubble tea. Every 6-12 mths the place changes, first Thai, then Bolivian meat pies, then Apple pies, Poke, Sushi, you name it. Some failed due to lack of capitol, some due to ignorance of codes and laws, some couldn’t cook.

What I’m trying to say is this: Just as there are men and women who should never, ever become parents, people who should never posses matches or lighters, there are people who should never open or run restaurants. Cruel, but true.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I really think it becomes a matter of doing whats best for the Herd. IMHO, I pick the place I want to make a living, bring up my family and live among the people I choose. My family and myself got the vaccine to protect ourselves and the people in the Herd. If I don't think this method is proper for myself, my family or the herd, I should look at getting out of the Herd.
I see some people working in Hospitals not being vaccinated. How would all of us feel, during a pandemic about going to a Hospital and having our loved ones get the virus and die. If I don't agree with the vaccine, I shouldn't put the Herd in jeopardy. I should get away from the Herd and live happily ever after living off grid with my own views of how I want to live my life.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 17, 2018
I really think it becomes a matter of doing whats best for the Herd. IMHO, I pick the place I want to make a living, bring up my family and live among the people I choose. My family and myself got the vaccine to protect ourselves and the people in the Herd. If I don't think this method is proper for myself, my family or the herd, I should look at getting out of the Herd.
I see some people working in Hospitals not being vaccinated. How would all of us feel, during a pandemic about going to a Hospital and having our loved ones get the virus and die. If I don't agree with the vaccine, I shouldn't put the Herd in jeopardy. I should get away from the Herd and live happily ever after living off grid with my own views of how I want to live my life.

I agree to a certain extent but at the end of the day the herd be damned, my health and my families is all I really care about. My view is it is not my place to go around telling people what they should or shouldn't be doing in relation to their own personal health choices. I can agree or disagree with said choices but at the end of the day it is none of my business. We are not talking about a small percentage of people here who want nothing to do with the vaccines, and based on the available data in a cost benefit for the individual I see how many people may not want the vaccine or may want to at least wait for more results before taking it which seems perfectly reasonable especially given what Pfizer is trying to pull now.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
What I’m trying to say is this: Just as there are men and women who should never, ever become parents, people who should never posses matches or lighters, there are people who should never open or run restaurants. Cruel, but true.

I don't think it's cruel at all, it's 100% true and from the looks of how this sentiment is going oh boy are we in trouble.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I agree to a certain extent but at the end of the day the herd be damned, my health and my families is all I really care about. My view is it is not my place to go around telling people what they should or shouldn't be doing in relation to their own personal health choices. I can agree or disagree with said choices but at the end of the day it is none of my business. We are not talking about a small percentage of people here who want nothing to do with the vaccines, and based on the available data in a cost benefit for the individual I see how many people may not want the vaccine or may want to at least wait for more results before taking it which seems perfectly reasonable especially given what Pfizer is trying to pull now.
I agree also with you. there are many many people who don't get the yearly Flu shot. That only kills about 40K a year. and most of the time with most of them being Seniors. For me the keyword here is Pandemic. I see people talking about not getting vaccinated until two families members die from the virus. Thats a hell of a time to change your mind. IMHO, If I don't agree with the herd, I get the hell out of the herd.

Top Bottom