Ports?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Being a huge fan of Ports I was wondering why no one has talked about ports yet. Any other port lovers out ther? What is your favorite. I like the Tawny ports myself.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Nicko, I am also a lover of Ports. Weather I am drinking it or cooking sweet or savoury dishes It adds a unique flavor and color to foods
As far as style, I lean towards vintage Ports.
Fonseca being my favorite with Taylor not far behind, They are still produced in the Douro valley.
I will try to clarify the 4 basic ports
vintage port
Considered the best, Vintage ports a made from grapes of a single vintage and bottled with in two years. Like vintage champagne Vintage port is only made in the best years,port from non declared years go into the other styles of port

Ruby Port
Made from lower quality batches of wine, aged for about two years. Ruby ports are bottled while it still shows it's youth,fruitiness,and bright red color.
they are also the least expensive

Tawny ports

Are blended with wines from a number of different years...they also can age in wood for 40 years. They are tawny in color (hence the name)and they are ready to drink when bottled, unlike vintage ports that need a number of years to mature..even up to 50years
the best tawny that I have had always indicate on the label how long they where aged 10,20,30 or 40 cheapo tawny are a blend of white and ruby ports
there are a number of grapes used for red ports Tinta barroca,Tinta cao,Tinto Roriz (Tempranillo)
I urge anyone you loves wine to just by a bottle, Get some Stilton cheese some dried fruit and nuts...sit back start a fire (in your fire place)and enjoy
cc

Joined Jul 31, 2000
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif

You are the new cheftalk e comedian
cc

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Sometimes I set my hair on fire and sip a glass of port. Only when the house is especially cold.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Momoreg.....

Next time just light a log in your fire place and sit down and sip. We don't need any Michael Jackson impersonators
cc

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I too am a lover of port. Right now my favs are: Graham's 20 year Tawny, Dow's '77' and the Fonseca '63'. Not that I get to drink them all that often, but I can wish can't I?

Joined May 29, 1999
Love the Port, have a low budget.
Clocktower is pretty swell and always go for someting different when at the local shop.
Can anyone suggest another low priced port?Thanks.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hi M brown,

Fonsceca Bin 27,grahms 6 grapes are two vintage style ports that I really enjoy.
Both under 20 smackers. These are not Tawny or Ruby in style
cc

Joined Jan 15, 2000
It's funny.... A restaurant that I helped open closed recently. One of the first things I wondered about was my Warre's '63 that I left behind.

Top Bottom