Portion question

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by bayoubyrnes, Aug 23, 2014.

1. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I have to feed 250 people, and "Pulled Pork" has been requested. I've made it quite a few times, but I'm not sure how much (in lbs.) to buy and not go over or under. 

Thank you.

2. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    So from what the wise and all-knowing internet is telling me that I should count on either 1/3 or 1/4 lb per person with a 50% shrinkage of the raw to cooked butt. When all the math is done:

(250 x .33) x 2 = 167 lbs.

(250 x .25) x 2 = 125 lbs. 

So... meat in the middle? Get it. Meat.

3. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What are you serving with it? Will it be an AYE buffet, served buffet, or plated? It will make a difference. Your pricing and portioning will need to reflecr each other. Also your clientle, kids, teen boys, construction workers, ladies, wedding. Time of day too. All things I take onto consideration when doing an event.

4. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    It'll be served as Pulled Pork Sandwiches, with BBQ Baked Beans. I'm of the understanding that some of the guests will be bringing extra sides as well. It's a going away party for one of the Priests I work for, so I was told to expect anywhere from 150 - 250 people, with the higher end being more likely. I'm assuming it'll be families, co-workers, kids, elderly, etc. A good grab bag of every demographic. And yes, buffet style. I'm thinking served.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Oh, and I'll be making a slaw as well.

6. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would figure 6 oz of meat a person, final weight. With bread, sides and drinks and dessert that should be good. So if your using a cut thar has a 50% shrink then your at 187 ish for a start weight. Something to think about would be the bread size, you dont want it to be so large that they build a 10oz sandwitch. Consider asembling the sandwitches as needed at the buffet, at least while the big push is on, thus comtroling portion.

harrisonh likes this.
  7. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Sounds like a game plan to me. Thank you. :)))

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I portion all meats on the sands on my menu at six oz and they are quite filling. I use an 8" roll, and six oz of pulled pork fills it generously. I get 40-50% shrinkage on pork butts.

I would use slider rolls, they can't put too much meat on that small roll.

9. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Yeah, I was thinking of going with King's Hawaiian rolls. I grew up eating PP on those.

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    That's a real small roll but  love em  plus they are high priced,  I go 1/3 cooked weight per person. which means approx. doubled In  raw weight s (I figure 50% shrink rate from shoulders)

If you serve it premixed with sauce  you save because it is heavier. If you serve sos you will use more .. Sauce on side 166 lbs  mixed with sauce  about  150 -156 lbs.. Men eat more then woman as do kids.  People eat les at lunch time then dinner time.  You serve it DO NOT let them serve themselves.  GOOD LUCK

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  11. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I went out and priced things a little while ago and decided against the Hawaiins as they are they are pricey. But I found a good bakery where I'll get 36 6-inch rolls for 4.98 a bag. I'm going to serve dry and let them determine how much sauce they want, and I'll definitely be serving instead of letting them portion their own food. Thank you.