Pork Tender loin

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Cooked a pork tenderloin  in the oven last night, for dinner followed a simple recipe . My question was recipe recommended that internal temp should be 150 F, and should stand 5 minutes. The pork was slight pinkish inside when sliced. Is that what it should look like. Or should I have took it to 165 F, that was I was told for pork. Or am just being old school ? Should I follow the same for a Crown roast ?

Joined Aug 26, 2016
Old school...but your preference is your preference.

The "federal guidelines" say pork is safe at 145 degrees.  

But cook it to a point that makes you happy...that's what's important.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
150!!! Gack. I do my pork tenderloin sous vide at 134 for 1-1.5 hours. Really, really delicious that way.

But yes, pink pork is OK. The old school danger of undercooked pork was parasites, but thanks to modern day farming practices it has been virtually eliminated. The main source of infection now is when people eat WILD animals. 

150 to me seems too high, bordering on dried out. I bet if you cooked it less you'd like the results much better. 

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Some old habits die hard! Or do I mean some old habits are hard to kill.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
I like a bit of light pink in the middle, both with tenderloin and the larger loin. And if you remember the mince challenge, I ate RAW pork. It was delicious!

mjb.

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for the info ,You would not know what temperature there is no pink ness left in the meet ?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I cook it until 150 and even then it's a little too well done. If you cook t past that you have to have an amazing sauce to go with it. It will need it.

Joined Aug 15, 2003

Thanks for the info ,You would not know what temperature there is no pink ness left in the meet ?
There shouldn't be much or even any pink in the meat if it is at 150. Did you brine or marinade it with something? Sometimes that effects the color of the meat, even if it is cooked a lot. You should try it at a lower temp tho, perfectly safe to eat and much, much more juicy and delicious when not overcooked. 

If you are going to cook a crown roast to 150 or 165, please don't. You'd be better served doing a slow roasted pork shoulder or something where an extended cook time will make it tender and succulent. A crown roast of pork overdone like that is a waste of money...to be honest. You're better off buying something that will taste better at the time/temp you want. My $.02 anyways. 

Last edited:
Joined Aug 26, 2016
If you don't want the MedRare/Med pink color, then you'll need to cook just slightly above 150 most likely.  If you want to do that, I highly suggest brining first.  At least you'll have extra moisture in the meat...maybe that'll help the overcooked loin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom