Pork Shoulder cooking time

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by freshbaked, Jul 12, 2016.

1. freshbaked

freshbaked

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tonight I am making BBQ pork steam buns. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 inch thick pork shoulder, oven at 350 degrees F. 30 minutes, flip, cook 20-30 minutes more. Then broiler for 8-10 minutes until crispy. The pork shoulder that I received from the store is bone-in, does this cooking time seem to reflect bone-in shoulder? I don't usually cook bone-in meats aside from roasting a whole chicken.

If the cooking time needs to be adjusted, can someone give me a better suggestion?

BTW, I do have a thermometer so I am prepared to check that way as well, just want to get it right.

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    How did you make sous statis with no knowledge of cooking a piece of meat with a bone in it?
    If this cut was so important to the dish why buy it?
    Keep looking until you either find a recipe using this scary bone .....find a boneless piece...or 86 the dish completely.

mimi

Or...cowboy up and stick it in the oven and cook until it looks right.

m.

jake t buds and chefbuba like this.
  3. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Braise it in a pan w/ half a cup bourbon and half a cup black coffee for 2 1/2 hours @ 250*. Tear up the meat. Sauce it up and throw it back in the oven for 8-10 minutes @ 550* G2G.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery."

4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    I see no reason you cant cook a bone-in, just keep your trusty blankie...I mean thermometer handy, bring it 

to your desired temperature internally, then make a note of it for future reference, I mean meat weights and

ovens vary right, so a recipe is never an exact science anyway.....right Chef?  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

5. freshbaked

freshbaked

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Absolutely, bone adds great flavors too.I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to take 2+ hours to cook considering I had friends headed over for dinner...
    I followed the recipe given and the meat was perfect

6. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    There ya go, add it to your book of important cook notes. If you dont have one, start one. :)