Pork Marinade - Steen's Cane Syrup debacle

Joined Nov 21, 2009
Hello all,

This is my first post on cheftalk and I come to the forum after an exhausting search. I am cooking for a group of 15 tomorrow in San Francisco and started a pork tenderloin marinade last night. The marinade typically calls for the following ingredients:
  • Olive oil
  • Worcestershire
  • Sea Salt
  • Fresh Rosemary
  • Garlic
  • Fresh Basil
  • Steens Cane Syrup
  • Dark brown cane sugar
After calling 25 specialty grocers, I cannot find Steens cane syrup in the San Francisco area. Can anyone recommend a good Steens substitute for the marinade? Steen's usually gives a nice flavor and candied crust when grilling.

Stores in the area carry Lyle's and Uncle Steve's cane syrup which I understand may be less dark. Would either of these substitute? Some other mixture?

Help!

Joined May 26, 2001
Another brand of cane syrup would be fine. Lyle's Golden Syrup is a bit heavier, but would also work, as would honey. In a pinch, dark corn syrup might be okay, but that would be a last resort -- adds nothing but sweetness.

Do NOT use any form of molasses -- way to strong a flavor!

Joined Nov 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies - I added a bit of extra brown sugar and proceeded with the marinade sans cane syrup. The pork won much praise and I thought it was not too bad *considering* but deep down I knew that Steen's Cane Syrup adds a nice candy crust and gives the sweetness a depth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom