Pork Leg Curing for Ham?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by reyesryanmjaube, Sep 20, 2012.

1. reyesryanmjaube

reyesryanmjaube

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For a couple of years now, some friend and my mother are bugging me to make my own ham and for a couple of years, I delayed the request... until now! I am now ready to make my own pork leg ham because chirstmas is just around the corner (here, christmas starts at september and ends in febuary.) But the problem is, I don't know exactly how.

I have ver little knowledge about curing meats. Sure I regularly cure and smoke my own bacon but that's about it. 

I've also searched the net for recipes and tips but they vary so much that I am now confused. The amounts, time, they all vary! So I'm asking the community's help on this. 

Also, I live in the tropical part of the world so dry curing may not be the best option here. I'm looking into wet curing.

The things I would like to know: The brine ratio. How long to brine certain weights of pork and how to cook it.

I have curing (pink) salt in hand and I don't think I can get my hands in any other preservative. So yeah, thanks in advance! :)

2. reyesryanmjaube

reyesryanmjaube

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    anyone? help?

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There are a number of books that would guide you.  Look up Michael Ruhlman, Rytek Kutas to name two.