Pork Chili Verde - Cook Off

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chilibill, May 8, 2017.

1. chilibill

I participate in Chili Cook Offs. One category is Pork Chili Verde. I have question regarding pork we use in this dish.The pork chili verde is something most people have never seen before. It has pork, cut into to 1/4 inch cubes plus anaheim, pasilla, jalapeno and serrano chilis diced up. We have 3 hours to prepare/cook the dish. We use 3 lbs of pork and make about 2 quarts. I quart for the judges and 1 we take home.

I have been using Costco pork loin, center cut. I partially freeze the meat so I can run it through a slicing machine so the 1/4 inch cubes are consistent in size.

The problem I am having is, when I brown the meat in a pan a film of white appears as the meat starts to cook. This goo hardens into small pieces and ends up in the pot of chili. I try to wash it out before putting the meat in the pot but that doesn't seem to work too well.

I wonder if this stuff is a result of the meat industry practice of injecting water/salt into the meat to help it be more moist and flavorful.

Can anyone recommend a method I can use to remove this stuff after it has been browned or a cut of pork that can be cut into 1/4 inch cubes, will be tender after about 2 hours of cooking and not break up?

I know this is an odd question. Thanks
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

It's just dissolved protein coagulating. I don't have a fix
  3. french fries

french fries

FWIW I prefer to use pork shoulder for my chile verde, with loin I would be worried that it would end up tough, rubbery or dry?

As for the white stuff... see if that thread helps? 
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. brianshaw

I've made plenty of Chile Verde. I cut my pork a lot bigger and cook until it basically shreds. Used both pork loin (generally making use of leftovers) and shoulder. Prefer shoulder. My chile emphasis is on pasilla and California green. Always very cautious with jalapeño and Serrano. One or the other for heat. If I did both I'd roast he jalapeño and stew the Serrano.

I would think that after 2 hours the small pieces would be mush.

The white stuff just goes into the sauce. No big deal.
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

I agree with what everyone else has said.  The white stuff is just protein and shouldn't really affect your chili.  And secondly, I much prefer to use shoulder for any stew-like pork dish.  I find that pork loin often ends up either tough an rubbery, or dry.  Pork shoulder has more fat and connective tissue so takes a bit longer to cook, but I find I end with a much better, and more flavorful product using it as opposed to loin.
  6. someday

I agree on using shoulder, but here's a trick that might help.

As mentioned above, the white stuff is protein, most likely albumin (similar to egg whites) that are squeezed out of the meat as the proteins coagulate. You might try seasoning your pork loin a day or two ahead of time...this will have the benefit of, obviously, seasoning the meat, but also pulling out some of the protein rich liquid which may be causing the albumin leeching. 

Don't worry about making the meat dry or anything, it doesn't really work like that. The only thing you'll have to be careful of is seasoning (salt) in the chili because the salt will come out of the meat and season the broth as well. 

I use this pre-seasoning technique for all my braises and stews (when I have time) and it really, really makes a big difference in terms of flavor in the end. Like I said, just take care to compensate for the added salt. 

I'm also not sure if this will work, but it is worth a try.