Pork Belly

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Dec 10, 2011.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love pork belly, but my husband hates it because it has too much fat.  It's a pleasure I afford myself to cook once every couple of years but otherwise only enjoy it at restaurants once in a while. 

I'm not looking for a recipe really, I have tons.  I'm looking for a way to de-fat it a little, and perhaps find a nice way of cutting it that will distract the eater from the copious amounts of fat.  Usually I've done little squares.

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ditto in our home, too, KK..     Jack Spratt in reverse!

A friend cooked a belly pork and she removed the  crackling and cooked it separately - and that allowed her to slice off a thick slice of the main fat. 

I still won't cook it, though!

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Maybe you're right, maybe I shouldn't cook it.  I have to be honest though that although I order it at restaurants when I see it on the menu it's never quite right.  I have an aversion to ordering pork at restaurants because it seems that chefs think that pork can only be cooked and served with fruit.  I don't like my pork fruity, I like it savory and I hold steadfast that it does not NEED sweetness to taste good.  I'm afraid I can only achieve that at home. 

4. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Order Kau Yuk in a Chinese Restaurant sometime!

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

Wow that was an awesome video.  First you boil it, then you fry it, then you simmer it in sauce, then you steam it.  Amazing.  What is taro?