Popsicles proper texture

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jillbhooch, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jillbhooch

jillbhooch

Exp:
    Party Planner
    I have some great recipes but I can not seem to get the right consistency for the popsicles (small delicate needles tightly layered on each other instead of larger ice crystals breaking apart)

I have read about stabilizers that help when making ice cream but not sure if that will help.

I'm using my home freezer so I am sure it is not cold enough and they don't freeze fast enough - so I had thought maybe freezing the mixture for 20-30 minutes then breaking that up in the vitamin and then putting it into the molds?

Am i better off using simple syrup or granulated sugar --- that said should I be using glucose or dextrose instead?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!! 

2. roseapple

roseapple

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi.  I am in the exact same place as you describe--great recipes/ideas yet problematic outcomes in regards to texture, ice and consistency.  I have been trying to make sense of which stabilizers I should try as everything 'published' is in regards to ice creams and sorbets.  I am also using a home chest freezer and I know I am not going to get the 'perfect' pop until I have a method for faster freezing.  I am wondering what if any solutions you have found?  I have some samples of stabilizer mixes on the way, and I will let you know the results as soon as I have them.  Let me know if you would like to message privately about more details.  Thanks! 

3. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    faster freezing method shouldn't matter. I think the problem you're having is the mixture not moving while freezing. Try giving the mold a shake or using an ice cream maker until you have a slush with small crystals and then pour it into your molds.

4. jillbhooch

jillbhooch

Exp:
    Party Planner
    I finally broke down and got a "real" machine....but yes I'd be more than willing to swap war stories and let you learn from my mistakes....

5. roseapple

roseapple

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. jillbhooch

jillbhooch

Exp:
    Party Planner
    Just shot you an e-mail...