Popcorn pairing question

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Explain your popcorn syrup...might help a bit. Could be a lot of things.

I've successfully paired popcorn (in a fine dining environment) with octopus...also done popcorn with ceviche (think it is a traditional accompaniment in Peru). I've made popcorn "grits" based on a Daniel Patterson recipe..they were delicious, though it takes a lot of popcorn to make a small amount of "grits."

So I think seafood would make a good pairing...crudo, ceviche, etc.

You could also go desert route and pair it with any number of things...chocolate, caramel, etc.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
polenta topped with sauteed scallops. sprinkled with a medley of quartered cherry tomatoes, scallions, and toasted cracked macadamia nuts and drizzled with the popcorn syrup

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
polenta topped with sauteed scallops. sprinkled with a medley of quartered cherry tomatoes, scallions, and toasted cracked macadamia nuts and drizzled with the popcorn syrup

Now, I am going to ask you the same question that Someday asked the OP-please explain your "popcorn syrup." Sounds intriguing, but wondering how you would accomplish this. Or maybe I'm just be daft!!!!:confused:

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Admittedly I haven't done this before, but it has really piqued my interest and got my wheels turning, so I well imagine I will play around with in the near future.

I basically imagine a simple syrup, but with less sugar, and popcorn. Blend, strain, tighten with xanthan. I am thinking like 1 cup of water to 1/3 cup sugar. Popcorn in blender, pour in hot water. Add sugar, blend. Strain through etamine. Back in blender with xanthan.

Joined Sep 12, 2017
First of all, I am bar manager. However, both culinary and bartending arts have to do with food pairing. So, I want to infuse a simple syrup with popcorn, but I need something extra to enhance and develop the taste. I am looking for some impossible to think, yet possible ideas, mainly sweet ones

Joined Aug 15, 2003
First of all, I am bar manager. However, both culinary and bartending arts have to do with food pairing. So, I want to infuse a simple syrup with popcorn, but I need something extra to enhance and develop the taste. I am looking for some impossible to think, yet possible ideas, mainly sweet ones

That is all information that would have been helpful in your initial post. Being a food forum, I assumed you wanted to cook with it not make cocktails. Those are two different things entirely.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
IME some of the more delicate flavors will get smothered by the booze so you have to use a product with a more pronounced in your face flavor.
Have you tried using something other than popcorn to get the corn essence in there?
Hominy or pulverized corn tortilla come to mind along with salt and a butter flavoring.
Just a thought.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012
...and by reading your other posts IMO you are going about this in a backward manner.
Choose the liquor first then think about what flavors would pair the best.
Don't discount the flavored syrups and liquors already out there...no need to reinvent the wheel...

mimi

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
My initial thoughts on the spirit portion go 2 ways-first there is vodka-very neutral flavored and would probably have a better chance of the "popcorn" flavor coming through. My second thought is American Whiskey, Bourbon, or American Corn Whiskey. All of these already have a corn component that you could play off of. As for your popcorn syrup I think that you might be better served if you tried to infuse your liquors directly with popcorn to get the flavor. I also agree with Flipflopgirl, in that you might be better served by a corn product that is a bit more flavorful like masa.

Joined Sep 12, 2017
I could do a cold wash in liquor and double strain in order to get rid of the kernels and the butter. The challenge here is to think out of the box and create a homemade product, which costs 1 pound and doesn't alter the taste of a liquor which could cost 15. What I did was to melt Marsemellows, make a syrup put the kernels in for 12 hours and strain the kernels.

Joined Jun 28, 2017
Popcorn/peach/amaretto is a flavor combo I've used to good effect in pastry projects.

Sounds like you are going for a Willy Wonka type effect? Like, more looking at the nostalgic/pop-culture qualities of the flavor rather than the natural corn qualities? In that case, I would definitely emphasize the butter element. Perhaps you could make a buttered popcorn mixer using gelatin or agar clarification a la Harold McGee's classic article http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/dining/05curi.html? Also would allow you to control the sweetness more directly.

What made you settle on using marshmallows for your syrup? For me, most commercial marshmallows have high tone vanilla elements that can be overwhelming/off putting if I'm trying to highlight a specific flavor in my product. In general, I feel like if I'm going to go through the trouble of making something 100% from scratch, the benefit is control and higher product quality, so why incorporate a commercial product in that process unless it is better than what I am capable of producing on my own? Also, how do the melted marshmallows impact the texture of your beverage and is that the effect you want? And are you concerned about making the drink non-vegetarian for your customers who might care about such things? Finally, keep an eye on that syrup and maybe store it in the fridge? I would imagine that the cornstarch (used to prevent marshmallows from sticking together) could introduce a food safety concern (mold) depending on the overall sugar/water content and storage of your product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom